cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD CARD RECOVERY?

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Hello, 

I have a 64GB SanDisk Ultra Plus MicroSD card that I haven't used in a while. I recently came across it and put in my laptop to see what was on there. It's telling me there are 49.77gb used, however when I click into the card no photos appear. 

I tried putting the card in my camera and I got an error message ("Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format the card with the camera"). I tried different adapters and with and without an adapter in the computer and nothing seems to be working. Other cards work just fine with the camera & computer.

I would like to try and recover these unknown photos before attempting a format, however I am not sure if it will even let me format it within the camera. 

I am using a Canon 70D

Any ideas? 

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.46.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.47.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.46.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.46.22 AM.png

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can try to see if recovery software can get to the images - if that is what they are.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drive...

However, do NOT use this card in a camera. micro cards with adapters cause all kinds of grief, including issues like you are seeing here.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have had experience with your issue, I have the SanDisk recovery program, however it was not as effective in deep scanning as a program called RECUVA
Search for it, there is a free version that has a limit on files that it will recover, you can try it and see if it recovers any of the files, full version is 20 bucks, it actually comes with the CCleaner Suite, I would not be without it.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:
I have had experience with your issue, I have the SanDisk recovery program, however it was not as effective in deep scanning as a program called RECUVA
Search for it, there is a free version that has a limit on files that it will recover, you can try it and see if it recovers any of the files, full version is 20 bucks, it actually comes with the CCleaner Suite, I would not be without it.

I don't believe there is a macOS version of Recuva.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
There is, windows or Mac

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

1ABC6F25-1E46-498C-9DA1-BE1F5BBE0D64.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I stand corrected, my bad, and I apologize

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Thanks all!! I downloaded Recuva on my mom's PC and was able to view some of the recovered photos (all of which are really old photos that I don't care to save). I went ahead and formatted the card on the PC and it STILL gives me the error message in the camera! Does this mean the card is toast? 

Micro SD cards in adapters are a frequent item that folks on the forum report problems with. My recommendation is get a new full size card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements