cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rode not working with 80d

Avandewater1
Contributor

Newbie here.  I hooked up my Rode lavalier mic to my 80d for first time and it’s not recording sound at all.  I have pushed it all the way in based on an online tip (that was scary) with no success.  I have confirmed the mic is working fine with my iPhone.  What am I missing?

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

External mics have to be enabled in the camera's settings.

If the mic requires external power, it might not be supported.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick.  I’ve watched videos online and poured through the manual and can’t find anywhere that references this.  Can you help?  

When I plug in the mic, it knows it’s there because it stops recording from the internal mic and shows that the wind filter has been turned off.  But when I watch the audio levels in the settings, nothing.  I’ve even tried watching the video on my computer, hoping the ghost audio might show up, but nothing,  

I’ve got to be missing something!

@Avandewater1 wrote:

Thanks, Rick.  I’ve watched videos online and poured through the manual and can’t find anywhere that references this.  Can you help?  

When I plug in the mic, it knows it’s there because it stops recording from the internal mic and shows that the wind filter has been turned off.  But when I watch the audio levels in the settings, nothing.  I’ve even tried watching the video on my computer, hoping the ghost audio might show up, but nothing,  

I’ve got to be missing something!

See page 313.  Download a copy of the instruction manual, and search for the word “microphone.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I’ve looked through the manual in depth but don’t see anything about enabling an external mic as mentioned above.  The page you mentioned just says it is compatible with microphones with a 3.5 mm plug.  

@Avandewater1 wrote:

Yes, I’ve looked through the manual in depth but don’t see anything about enabling an external mic as mentioned above.  The page you mentioned just says it is compatible with microphones with a 3.5 mm plug.  

Did you see the notes at the bottom of the page?

5F57DB4C-4369-4C3F-8CFD-55A062A9049B.jpeg

I think that is where you could enable sound recording.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Avandewater1 wrote:

Newbie here.  I hooked up my Rode lavalier mic to my 80d for first time and it’s not recording sound at all.  I have pushed it all the way in based on an online tip (that was scary) with no success.  I have confirmed the mic is working fine with my iPhone.  What am I missing?

Exactly which Rode microphone are you using?

The Rode lavalier. 

@Avandewater1 wrote:

The Rode lavalier. 

That reply does not say much.  Rode makes at least four “lavallier” microphones.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059342-REG/rode_smartlav_smart_lav_lav_mic_for.html

The one made for iPhones and Apple devices would be incorrect model.  It uses a TRRS connector.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012003-REG/rode_videomic_go_videomic_go_on_camera_shotgun.ht...

You want a microphone with a TRS connector, like the one microphone packaged in “Video Creator Kits.”

[EDIT]. I think all you need is the Rode SC3 adapter, but do check with Canon Support.

Thank you!  And sorry, I only saw one lavalier on the Rode site and it was the one I have.  I appreciate your help!

Announcements