Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rick Sammons on the M5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/sammon-eos-m5.shtml

Almost makes me wish I had not gotten my T6S.

He really, really likes the touch screen.

14 REPLIES 14

RTF,

"Sounds like one 'very' (small) step above a cell phone camera."

Yes they are, Mx series included.  You again hit the nail on the head.  It's that whole lipstick on a pig routine.

Adding interchangabe lens ability did not make it a good camera.  Even the Powershot G16 is a better idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

RTF,

"Sounds like one 'very' (small) step above a cell phone camera."

Yes they are, Mx series included.  You again hit the nail on the head.  It's that whole lipstick on a pig routine.

Adding interchangabe lens ability did not make it a good camera.  Even the Powershot G16 is a better idea.

The big difference, as I see it, is that the M series has the potential to evolve into a replacement for the Rebel series and the G1x II doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

So what?  Doesn't make the Mx a winner.  You can say all you want about it but it doesn't justify anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

So what?  Doesn't make the Mx a winner.  You can say all you want about it but it doesn't justify anything.

I actually didn't say much about it, and all I was trying to justify is the direction that Canon seems to be heading with the M series. I don't know whether I'm right or wrong. but maybe I'll live long enough to find out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Oh, I forgot to mention how the M3 is mostly used.  The intiial goal had been to buy a small camera that could take near DSLR quality pictures without making you look like Joe The Professional Photographer, with a big camera and lens.  In that regard, the M3 can do a pretty good job.

But, I mentioned that I discovered the camera can do focus peaking on the LCD screen.  One of my sons is an executive chef, and I passed the camera along to him.  We've discovered that the M3 is perfect for capturing macro photos of his plates of food.  The camera has 24MP APS-C resolution, which makes it great for macro photos, especially in tight spaces.

The M3 has the tilt screen, and the focus peaking.  Do you need to do focus stacking on a shot?  The display made focus stacking easy, because you can see where the focus plane is located.  Manual focusing doesn't present a large load on the battery, either, having the battery run down prematurely has never been a worry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements