cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

motheye
Contributor

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

50 REPLIES 50

Here is the current best buy that is in stock at the Canon Refurbished Store, a 70D

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-body-refurbished

Their 7D bodies are currently sold out.  There is not a way of knowing when something listed as out of stock will come back, if ever, most especially on gear that has been out of production for any significant length of time.  They had 7D bodies several weeks ago, after being out of stock for several weeks.  They were sold out within a week, or two.

I just checked my favorite used gear vendors, and one of them has at least three 7D bodies, listed in varying condtions, for significantly less than that much newer 70D I posted above.  Again, I think the 70D, with a one year warranty, is a best buy.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I think the 70D, with a one year warranty, is a best buy."

I can second that.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Agreed. And it's worth pointing out that chasing the latest and greatest is a fool's errand. (Full disclosure: it's one that I've avoided with varying degrees of success. At least I haven't bought a 5D Mk IV yet!) Digital cameras in the price range that we've been discussing are improving with maddening rapidity. Today's new standard will seem almost obsolete in two or three years. Which means that sensible upgrades at the right price are often a good way to go. If your current camera is a 20D, a good buy on a 7D or a 70D, or even a 50D, can quite probably see you through nicely until the next time money starts burning a hole in your pocket.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Agreed. And it's worth pointing out that chasing the latest and greatest is a fool's errand. (Full disclosure: it's one that I've avoided with varying degrees of success. At least I haven't bought a 5D Mk IV yet!) Digital cameras in the price range that we've been discussing are improving with maddening rapidity. Today's new standard will seem almost obsolete in two or three years. Which means that sensible upgrades at the right price are often a good way to go. If your current camera is a 20D, a good buy on a 7D or a 70D, or even a 50D, can quite probably see you through nicely until the next time money starts burning a hole in your pocket.

A refurbished 70D with a one year warrenty from Canon for $650 is a good deal.

A used 40D in EX+ condition from KEH for $228 is a good deal.

Is the 70D worth twice as much as the 40D, that really depends on a persons budget. 

I wouldn't say one or the other was the best deal.

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A refurbished 70D with a one year warrenty from Canon for $650 is a good deal.

A used 40D in EX+ condition from KEH for $228 is a good deal.

Is the 70D worth twice as much as the 40D, that really depends on a persons budget. 

I wouldn't say one or the other was the best deal.

I cannot argue that point.  The 40D makes a good replacement camera.

Except, if you plan to upgrade the 40D in the near future, then you should for the steal on the 70D, for $650.

KEH is pretty good, very good, in fact.  They have the 50D and 60D models, too, which i believe Robert has pointed out as each having their disadvantages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"A refurbished 70D with a one year warrenty from Canon for $650 is a good deal."   Smiley Happy

"A used 40D in EX+ condition from KEH for $228 is a good deal."   No it is not if upgrade and out of date technology is considered.

"Is the 70D worth twice as much as the 40D, that really depends on a persons budget."   Yes it is if money is to be soon spent on a better more current camera.  The 40D was never that great of a camera anyway.  Now especially if compared to a 70D much less a 7D.

"I wouldn't say one or the other was the best deal."  I am not surprised!

I still use a 1D Mk IIn but I wouldn't suggest anybody buy one unless their only desire was to experience a 1 series camera cheaply.  It is a great camera but its day has come and gone.  The same is true for a 40D.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Is the 70D worth twice as much as the 40D, that really depends on a persons budget."   Yes it is if money is to be soon spent on a better more current camera.  The 40D was never that great of a camera anyway.  Now especially if compared to a 70D much less a 7D.

If you are looking for the greatest upgrade in technology then the 70D is better than the 7D. So your much less the 7D statement makes no sense at all.

And saying the 40D was never really that great of a camera is nothing more than revisionist history. 

"So your much less the 7D statement makes no sense at all."

So what else it new?  I prefer the 7D.

EB

If there is no $400 budget limit, I will pick the 80D.

The 2009 launched 7D with the Canon first generation noisy 18mp sensor ?  No thanks.

70D ? No as well - check out the (many) complaints in this forum.

If there is no budget limit at all, then why not the best. Check it out from here.

Coming from a 20D, 40D/50D with quality budget prime lenses is still the way to go. BUDGET is the key here. Be realistic.

Happy Boxing day and keep on shopping (to find your ideal camera)  or shooting (with whatever camera you have) .

@lly3988 wrote:

70D ? No as well - check out the (many) complaints in this forum.

The 70D had NO systemic issues. There were a few very early models sold in Germany that did exhibit an issue.

Then a newbe US photo blogger, picked up on that and incorrectly stated that needing to micro focus adjust a lens meant the camera had an issue. This is completely false.

Add to that inconsistent focus from the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and you had a lot of people who thought their camera had and issue when it didn't. I like to say that Canon fixed the 70D's 'focus issue' by releasing the EF 50mm f1.8 STM.

Announcements