cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

motheye
Contributor

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

50 REPLIES 50

@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!

Yes, you can use Lightroom.

The whole processing software 'issue' is a strawman argument. 

It is not a problem for a few folks.  But, it can be a problem for most people, who are not running third party software.

If you're planning to use Canon's software it can be an issue for some people right now,.  There are no instructions that tell you to how to get it up and running on the latest Operating Systems from Microsoft and Apple.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!

It is not a problem for a few folks.  But, it can be a problem for most people, who are not running third party software.

If you're planning to use Canon's software it can be an issue for some people right now,.  There are no instructions that tell you to how to get it up and running on the latest Operating Systems from Microsoft and Apple.

The latest release of DPP 3 and EOS Utilities for the latest cameras work fine with files from the 40D.

Simply because Canon didn't update the link on the 40D webpage doesn't mean the software doesn't work. 

I have both a 40D and the latest version of DPP 3 on my Windows 10 computer, and they work fine together.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

The latest release of DPP 3 and EOS Utilities for the latest cameras work fine with files from the 40D.

Simply because Canon didn't update the link on the 40D webpage doesn't mean the software doesn't work. 

I have both a 40D and the latest version of DPP 3 on my Windows 10 computer, and they work fine together.

I have never once said that it wouldn't, or didn't, work.  I simply pointed out that support for older gear is being phased out. 

BTW, the links on the 40D support page are updated.  They just didn't post instructions on how to install it all.  Maybe the installers guide you in the right directions.  I would hope so.

" I'll will just repeat my caution about software support for many older camera bodies is slowly being phased out"

This is the point!  Why trade an obsolete camera for another obsolete camera. Just to upgrade it later?

There is no doubt the 40D and/or the 50D are good cameras but most any DSLR is a good camera when you come down to it.  I know a Star reporter that still uses a 40D so it can be done.

Canon does not make any bad cameras nor any bad lenses.  There are just some that qualify as better choices for the situation.  Yours seems to lean towards a more relevant camera like the 7D.  It will stay relevant for longer, years longer, than a 40D.  But whatever your decision is, getting back into photography is the goal.  Right? Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks guys, I'm taking all this in.  Much appreciated.

lly3988
Rising Star

Good luck buying a 7D with your $400 budget. BTW, if you can find one with very low price, it could be one of the earlier production that came out in 2009 with over 100K shutter count.

Don't worry about people comenting on lack of software support, no more batteries and ......

With your small budget, I still think a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well.

"...a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well."

I don't think anyone said they wouldn't.  The difference comes when you add the, is it the best option or way to go.  In mine and at least a couple other responder's opinion, it is not. The budget may need to be increased now to save even more later.  That is the key.  The fact the 7D is a way much better and current camera justifies that.

EB

@lly3988 wrote:

Good luck buying a 7D with your $400 budget. BTW, if you can find one with very low price, it could be one of the earlier production that came out in 2009 with over 100K shutter count.

Don't worry about people comenting on lack of software support, no more batteries and ......

With your small budget, I still think a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well.

I agree.

When my wife was looking to get into bird photography, she started using my old XTi. She had $300 to spend on birding camera. I was using the classic 7D at the time. I had no problem recommending she buy a used 40D. We found one with an extremely low shutter count (under 300) for $239. It did need the sensor cleaned, but, other than that it has worked flawlessly. She goes out birding 3 - 4 times a week, and took over 15,000 photos in a year and a half before I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D. I'm almost positive the people here saying you should spend more on a 7D spend way more than $200 a year on their camera gear. We still use the 40D it makes a great camera to share when we have a guest go out birding with us.

The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera. The 40D and 50D are both well built durable cameras capable of great photos. Don't let other people pressure you into spending more than you need to. It is your money you are spending, not theirs. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

I agree.

When my wife was looking to get into bird photography, she started using my old XTi. She had $300 to spend on birding camera. I was using the classic 7D at the time. I had no problem recommending she buy a used 40D. We found one with an extremely low shutter count (under 300) for $239. It did need the sensor cleaned, but, other than that it has worked flawlessly. She goes out birding 3 - 4 times a week, and took over 15,000 photos in a year and a half before I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D Mk II.

I'm almost positive the people here saying you should spend more on a 7D spend way more than $200 a year on their camera gear. We still use the 40D it makes a great camera to share when we have a guest go out birding with us.

The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera. The 40D and 50D are both well built durable cameras capable of great photos. Don't let other people pressure you into spending more than you need to. It is your money you are spending, not theirs. 

Upgrading to a 40D or 50D is NOT a bad idea by itself.  But, it's when you throw in the idea of upgrading to a better body at some point down the road, then THAT is when it becomes a bad idea. Besides, buying two cameras means less money to invest in upgrading lenses or some other gear.

I gave an example with some made up numbers earlier.  It is far less costly to buy one better body now, than buying a stop gap camera now, and another camera upgrade down the road.  Worst case, you never buy the better body at a later date, and you wind up with something that has left you disappointed and discouraged.

" I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D Mk II."

What? Smiley Frustrated  That 'classic' word gets around, doesn't it?

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera."

What? Smiley Frustrated  Not enough coffee this morning?  This is such a trite and worn out, cop out, phrase to the point of hilarity.  " I upgraded to the 7D Mk II ..."  I am sure you did !

EB
Announcements