Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,967
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software


@motheye wrote:

Sorry, all the answers are coming at me faster than I am ready for.  Thank you all!  It looks like Lightroom for Mac is $149 which I am OK with, and look forward to learning about and using.


Adobe also offers a Photographer's bundle of Lightroom and Photoshop for $10 per month. If you don't already own either you may find this is a better deal for you. That way you always have the latest software and features. It's your choice if you want to pay up front, and then again for upgrades, or simply go with a monthly plan. If you are going to use both Photoshop and Lightroom your probably better off with the monthly plan.

VIP
Posts: 8,039
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software


@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!


Yes, you can use Lightroom.

 

The whole processing software 'issue' is a strawman argument. 


It is not a problem for a few folks.  But, it can be a problem for most people, who are not running third party software.

 

If you're planning to use Canon's software it can be an issue for some people right now,.  There are no instructions that tell you to how to get it up and running on the latest Operating Systems from Microsoft and Apple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,967
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

[ Edited ]

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!


Yes, you can use Lightroom.

 

The whole processing software 'issue' is a strawman argument. 


It is not a problem for a few folks.  But, it can be a problem for most people, who are not running third party software.

 

If you're planning to use Canon's software it can be an issue for some people right now,.  There are no instructions that tell you to how to get it up and running on the latest Operating Systems from Microsoft and Apple.


The latest release of DPP 3 and EOS Utilities for the latest cameras work fine with files from the 40D.

Simply because Canon didn't update the link on the 40D webpage doesn't mean the software doesn't work. 

I have both a 40D and the latest version of DPP 3 on my Windows 10 computer, and they work fine together.

VIP
Posts: 8,039
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software


@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!


Yes, you can use Lightroom.

 

The whole processing software 'issue' is a strawman argument. 


It is not a problem for a few folks.  But, it can be a problem for most people, who are not running third party software.

 

If you're planning to use Canon's software it can be an issue for some people right now,.  There are no instructions that tell you to how to get it up and running on the latest Operating Systems from Microsoft and Apple.


The latest release of DPP 3 and EOS Utilities for the latest cameras work fine with files from the 40D.

Simply because Canon didn't update the link on the 40D webpage doesn't mean the software doesn't work. 

I have both a 40D and the latest version of DPP 3 on my Windows 10 computer, and they work fine together.


I have never once said that it wouldn't, or didn't, work.  I simply pointed out that support for older gear is being phased out. 

 

BTW, the links on the 40D support page are updated.  They just didn't post instructions on how to install it all.  Maybe the installers guide you in the right directions.  I would hope so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Super Contributor
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎09-29-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

Good luck buying a 7D with your $400 budget. BTW, if you can find one with very low price, it could be one of the earlier production that came out in 2009 with over 100K shutter count.

 

Don't worry about people comenting on lack of software support, no more batteries and ......

 

With your small budget, I still think a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well.

 

 

VIP
Posts: 11,096
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

[ Edited ]

"...a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well."

 

I don't think anyone said they wouldn't.  The difference comes when you add the, is it the best option or way to go.  In mine and at least a couple other responder's opinion, it is not. The budget may need to be increased now to save even more later.  That is the key.  The fact the 7D is a way much better and current camera justifies that.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,967
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

[ Edited ]

@lly3988 wrote:

Good luck buying a 7D with your $400 budget. BTW, if you can find one with very low price, it could be one of the earlier production that came out in 2009 with over 100K shutter count.

 

Don't worry about people comenting on lack of software support, no more batteries and ......

 

With your small budget, I still think a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well.

 

 


I agree.

 

When my wife was looking to get into bird photography, she started using my old XTi. She had $300 to spend on birding camera. I was using the classic 7D at the time. I had no problem recommending she buy a used 40D. We found one with an extremely low shutter count (under 300) for $239. It did need the sensor cleaned, but, other than that it has worked flawlessly. She goes out birding 3 - 4 times a week, and took over 15,000 photos in a year and a half before I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D. I'm almost positive the people here saying you should spend more on a 7D spend way more than $200 a year on their camera gear. We still use the 40D it makes a great camera to share when we have a guest go out birding with us.

The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera. The 40D and 50D are both well built durable cameras capable of great photos. Don't let other people pressure you into spending more than you need to. It is your money you are spending, not theirs. 

VIP
Posts: 8,039
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software


@TTMartin wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

Good luck buying a 7D with your $400 budget. BTW, if you can find one with very low price, it could be one of the earlier production that came out in 2009 with over 100K shutter count.

 

Don't worry about people comenting on lack of software support, no more batteries and ......

 

With your small budget, I still think a good condition 40D (or may be a 50D) with 2 new prime lens (any of the STM) will serve you well.

 

 


I agree.

 

When my wife was looking to get into bird photography, she started using my old XTi. She had $300 to spend on birding camera. I was using the classic 7D at the time. I had no problem recommending she buy a used 40D. We found one with an extremely low shutter count (under 300) for $239. It did need the sensor cleaned, but, other than that it has worked flawlessly. She goes out birding 3 - 4 times a week, and took over 15,000 photos in a year and a half before I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D Mk II.

 

I'm almost positive the people here saying you should spend more on a 7D spend way more than $200 a year on their camera gear. We still use the 40D it makes a great camera to share when we have a guest go out birding with us.

The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera. The 40D and 50D are both well built durable cameras capable of great photos. Don't let other people pressure you into spending more than you need to. It is your money you are spending, not theirs. 


Upgrading to a 40D or 50D is NOT a bad idea by itself.  But, it's when you throw in the idea of upgrading to a better body at some point down the road, then THAT is when it becomes a bad idea. Besides, buying two cameras means less money to invest in upgrading lenses or some other gear.

 

I gave an example with some made up numbers earlier.  It is far less costly to buy one better body now, than buying a stop gap camera now, and another camera upgrade down the road.  Worst case, you never buy the better body at a later date, and you wind up with something that has left you disappointed and discouraged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 11,096
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

" I upgraded to the 7D Mk II and she began using my hand me down classic 7D Mk II."

 

What? Smiley Frustrated  That 'classic' word gets around, doesn't it?

 

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, and the photographer makes the photograph not the camera."

 

What? Smiley Frustrated  Not enough coffee this morning?  This is such a trite and worn out, cop out, phrase to the point of hilarity.  " I upgraded to the 7D Mk II ..."  I am sure you did !

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
VIP
Posts: 8,039
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

[ Edited ]

Here is the current best buy that is in stock at the Canon Refurbished Store, a 70D

 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-body-refurbished

 

Their 7D bodies are currently sold out.  There is not a way of knowing when something listed as out of stock will come back, if ever, most especially on gear that has been out of production for any significant length of time.  They had 7D bodies several weeks ago, after being out of stock for several weeks.  They were sold out within a week, or two.

 

I just checked my favorite used gear vendors, and one of them has at least three 7D bodies, listed in varying condtions, for significantly less than that much newer 70D I posted above.  Again, I think the 70D, with a one year warranty, is a best buy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement