cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

motheye
Contributor

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

50 REPLIES 50

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!

@motheye wrote:

Are we talking abou tthe image processing software that came with the camera?  Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?  Not sure I understand.  I know I have no interest in old PC software!

Yes, you can.  I could not assume that you were using those packages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry, all the answers are coming at me faster than I am ready for.  Thank you all!  It looks like Lightroom for Mac is $149 which I am OK with, and look forward to learning about and using.

"...Lightroom for Mac is $149 which I am OK with, and look forward to learning about and using."

LR is great and I love it. I couldn't function wiht out it.  I use it every day.  It is not a true editor just like DPP from Canon is not.  Both will do some things, perhaps most things you are interested in.  But both pale in comparison to Photoshop Elements or the full blown Photshop (which I also use every day).

LR is a companion editor.  Like DPP is.  PSE and PS are the real deal and will do almost anything you will ever need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, PSE duplicates everything LR does.  Plus gives you a more in depth editor.

EB

@motheye wrote:

Sorry, all the answers are coming at me faster than I am ready for.  Thank you all!  It looks like Lightroom for Mac is $149 which I am OK with, and look forward to learning about and using.

Adobe also offers a Photographer's bundle of Lightroom and Photoshop for $10 per month. If you don't already own either you may find this is a better deal for you. That way you always have the latest software and features. It's your choice if you want to pay up front, and then again for upgrades, or simply go with a monthly plan. If you are going to use both Photoshop and Lightroom your probably better off with the monthly plan.

The above post is exactly spot on and why trading an obsolete camera for another obsolete camera isn't a good idea.  The only advantage a 40D has is the initial cost.  It is penny wise and pound foolish.

Will it work?  Can it work?  Sure but is it the best answer?  No it is not, IMHO.

"Can't I just process the RAW files in Photoshop or Lightroom?"

Yes you can and this is preferable.  BTW, there is no 'classic' 7D.  There is a 7D and a 7D Mk II.  So if you shop look for just a 7D.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, there is no 'classic' 7D.  There is a 7D and a 7D Mk II. 

The word 'classic' in lower case proceeding the 7D is used as an adjective, not a noun, and is not part of the name.

"...and is not part of the name."

Neither is it accurate nor even necessary.  There is a 7D and there is a 7D Mk II.

EB

@motheye wrote:

Yes, you can use Lightroom.

The whole processing software 'issue' is a strawman argument. 

Announcements