cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement 7D Mark II mode dial cover

iSilentP
Contributor

My 7D Mark II body somehow got loose from the 70-200 and fell to the ground. The mode dial cover came off and for the life of me was not able to find it anywhere nearby. Now I need a cover. The mode dial itself seems OK. Looking around the internet, I can't seem to find mode dial cover for the 7D Mark II. There seem to be plenty for the 5D Mark III and the classic 7D, but nothing for the 7D Mark II.

Does anyone know where I can buy this cover? I called Canon and the best they can do is replace the whole dial for upwards of $250.

Looking for this, but for the 7D Mark II:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

HELP!

10 REPLIES 10

@iSilentP wrote:

My 7D Mark II body somehow got loose from the 70-200 and fell to the ground. The mode dial cover came off and for the life of me was not able to find it anywhere nearby. Now I need a cover. The mode dial itself seems OK. Looking around the internet, I can't seem to find mode dial cover for the 7D Mark II. There seem to be plenty for the 5D Mark III and the classic 7D, but nothing for the 7D Mark II.

Does anyone know where I can buy this cover? I called Canon and the best they can do is replace the whole dial for upwards of $250.

Looking for this, but for the 7D Mark II:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

HELP!

I thought maybe you could use a dial cap for a 5D Mark III, since the controls for the two cameras are so similar. So I compared my 5D3 and my wife's 7D2, and it appears that the 7D2's dial may be a tad smaller. But maybe you could sand it down a little and make it fit. It's just glued on, after all.

Another thought: Unless the camera fell into long, soft grass or weeds, you should probably send it in anyway to be cleaned and checked out. Damage from being dropped can be internal and not immediately obvious. If you do that, maybe Canon will take pity on you and replace the cap for a reasonable price instead of soaking you for the whole assembly. Nothing is certain, obviously, but similar success stories are not unknown. (I actually have one myself, sort of, but I've told it a couple of times already in this forum and don't want to annoy the rest of the gang.)

I don't have to remind you, obviously, but I hope others who read this thread will notice what a good idea it is to always have the camera strap around one's neck.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The mode dial cover on my 6d simply fell off when it was a year old. I had been outside in summer then placed the camera down in the air conditioning and it just let go.

Luckily I found it. Upon examination I found it had simply glued on. There were 2 or 3 tiny dots of a rubbery glue left on the little metal disk/cap/plate which had been all that held it on.  

I researched adhesives and mode cap dials. They come off a lot so I think that is a design flaw. Most people recommend a flexible glue like the OEM original rather than a hard brittle superglue, in order to deal with the expansion contraction of temp changes and because the smooth metal cap surface isn't very good with superglue.  Also I suppose that lets you pry it off someday if you really need to. 

It it has held over 2 years, knock on wood. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I went with the glue called "Goop" you find in most glue aisles.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have seen Goop. Looks very promissing. Thanks.

@ScottyP wrote:

a hard brittle superglue

Generally cameras / lenses and Super Glue don't mix. Super Glue can off-gas and fog / ruin lens elements, mirrors or image sensors.

Think about CSI shows that use it to bring up finger prints.

Both my kids had Canon S3. One of them lost the top of the control dial. I took a picture of the other, resized it to fit. Printed it on photo paper, then laminated it. Cut it out and glued it on. Still there.

Skybul: That sounds like viable option. Thanks for the reply.

Luckily you found it. Me? Not so lucky. Problem is finding replacement.

Thanks, Bob. I think I found a source for the dial cap from China. Waiting to heear back on when it will be in stock. I think I will take my chances for ~$10 and see if that will work. 

Announcements