cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair cost for sand in L lens and calibrating camera body?

bhare122
Apprentice

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone out there has sent in their camera and lens to Canon to be repaired for sand in the focal ring, and for calibrating the camera body to the lens.  My husband has a 6D camera with a 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM lens, which encountered a bit of sand while he was trying to break up dog fight (where our dog was clearly losing) this weekend.  Now, even after much cleaning, the lens has sand grinding in the focus ring, and possibly sand between the lenses.  Fortunately the 6D camera body was spared the sand, but if I'm sending the lens I might as well send the body too for cleaning (just in case) and calibration for the lens.  

I tried calling Canon NJ today for a ballpark estimate (are we talking about $100? $200? $500??) and she couldn't give me any number over the phone.  I understand that they don't want to give quotes, because repairs aren't always as simple, but they have to know a range of what they charge someone who's gotten sand in an L lens...

I am simply trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to pay the shipping and insurance to send this stuff in for repair.  So is there anyone out there that has had a similar problem?  How much (ballpark is fine) did you pay to have it repaired?

Also, I'm not sure the best way to package/ship the camera body and lens.  We don't have the boxes anymore... Can I just bring it to a UPS store and use their padding/boxes to ship?  Any tips for how to best package them?

Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

Unfortunately they don't give quotes for repairs.  It's kind of frustrating in my opinion.

Most the figures I see quoted are around $200.  It can certainly be more if there's something broken, but this sounds like a simple case of pull it apart and clean it.

I doubt the camera needs calibrating.  It's not worth the cost if they're not going to give me a quote, personally.  The 6D isn't that old, so yours can't be.  I would say you could send it in with the lens to calibrate focus to the body, but the 6D has AFMA so I'm not sure if that works.  They used to let you send the body in with the camera as a package calibration deal.

As for shipping, I'd wrap the lens in a bunch of bubble tape and fit it into a sturdy shipping carton.  And I'd ship it insured.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Actually Canon does give repair costs in advance of repairs, after they evaluate your equipment, at least CAPS does.

First off, if the lens is making a grinding noise, stop using it! With this expensive of equipment, you have to have it evaluated. All that will cost you is shipping. UPS will pack everything for you but they charge extra for that. You can pack it yourself.

My last clean & check on a body was $181 (1D Mk III at CPS) but this is going to vary on body and whatever needs to be replaced.

Don't send any cards or batteries or any accessories with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you very much Skirball and ebiggs.  I appreciate the advice and tips for shipping, and what to expect as far as costs.

Ebiggs - my husband did stop using it immediately.  It was right after the incident, when he was checking out the camera, that he realized there was sand in there and it was grinding.  Thank you also for the tip to not include batteries or cards - something I might not have thought of.

I'll be shipping it to the NJ Canon location - hoping all goes smoothly with the repairs!

Thanks again.

Here's hoping for you guys! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements