cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair Costs

robbcruzz
Apprentice

***EDIT -- I was unable to ever speak with an actual technician regarding the repair. I did speak with multiple people on the 800 number and the best possible explination that I got was that it is likely that the whole top portion of the camera had to be replaced, including the top LCD screen, as Waddizzle said could be possible. I still did not receive a full explination. On my invoice it simply says that Labor = $590. There are no details online, even the letter that I received in the mail does not say anything other than CMOS scratched. The original problem isnt even mentioned anywhere on any repair details. I just paid it because its nearing a month since I sent the camera to the Canon Repair facility, and I need it back as I have a job coming up and it is my only piece of equipment at this time. I'm hoping it will be returned with a more detailed report of the work that was done so that I can have for my records and peace of mind, as this has turned out to be a mini nightmare. I doubt I will use Canon in the future though, since I could never get a detailed answer, online or via phone, and will likely make the switch back to Sony for my next upgrade/purchase. Thanks everyone for your input.

-Rob

Also, SN on camera = SN on original box.

Has anyone had an experience with sending their camera to Canon for repair and the price being ridiculously high and/or other issues magically popping up once they inspect the camera? My 6dM2 stopped shutting off... everything on the camera worked fine, images were clear, all settings worked, etc, the off switch just was not working. I sent in the camera over 3 weeks ago with an exact, detailed description of the issue that I was experiencing. They came back with an original quote of $350+, saying that the LCD screen was not functioning. I had used the camera the day that it was sent off. the LCD screens were both working just fine. I decided to bite the bullet and just pay since they already had the camera and I didn't want to take the risk of receiving it back in worse shape than it was sent. 4-5 days later, I receive an email stating that my payment was refunded and a new quote was available for my review....this one over $600! Smiley Surprised Now, apparently, they've detected scratches on my CMOS sensor... I call and talk to a dude who isn't even in the same buliding as the tech who is working on the camera...tell him my images were fine. I had recently blown and printed an image to a 36" poster. The quality appears perfect and no flaws are noticable at all in the print. He says he has to email the factory and see what they say... 3 days later he calls and says "yeah so the sensor is badly, badly scratched and they wont fix the on/off switch if you dont agree to fix the sensor too". WHAT? So, Im just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experience to this? It seems insane to me that I sent my cam in for a specific problem, honestly expecting it to be around $150 max to fix, and now I'm pretty much forced to pay half of what my 2 year old body originally cost....or risk being returned a more damaged product that what I sent..

9 REPLIES 9

Where did you buy the camera? If it was one of the big New York stores that everybody uses, maybe they could help you find the right person to talk to at Canon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the serial number of your camera.  Maybe they got it mixed up.  You should have had at least a 90 or 180 guarantee on the repairs, so have your repair receipt ready with the case number.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My guess is you bought a gray market camera and have sent it to a non-Canon USA repair facility. This is one of the prices you pay for not buying legitimate Canon USA cameras.

BTW, here is Canon's number 1 (800) 652-2666

You might be lucky to get it back at all.  If you do call the number above, ask if Canon USA will service it. They might refuse which I don't blame them at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

robbcruzz
Apprentice
I purchased the camera from Best Buy and the serial number is registered with Canon. It’s being serviced at the Newport News, VA factory repair center

robbcruzz
Apprentice
@waddizzle, My serial number matches the one listed on the emailed repair estimate.

@robbcruzz wrote:
@waddizzle, My serial number matches the one listed on the emailed repair estimate.

That's good.  Does it match the serial number on the box the camera came in?  If you registered it with Canon, then it should also be the same serial number.  However, it does not sound like you have had an accidental camera swap.

I hope that you can get this straightened out.  I think you have had quite the series of mishaps.  Follow Bob's advice, and give Canon a call.  Something is in the system seems to broken down, and you may have become the victim of it.

Keep in mind, you do get a limited guarantee with your repairs.  I would not go as far as to call it a warranty, which would cover the entire camera.  A repair guarantee would only cover the items they replaced or repaired, basically just the work they performed on the camera.  

Also, be aware that many times repairs are performed by swapping out entire major assemblies.  For example, repairing a bad On/Off switch probably means replacing the entire top assembly of the camera, end to end.  This would include the mode dial/power switch, flash shoe electronics, LCD screen, and all of the buttons on the top of the camera.  Also, it is my understanding that the Wi-Fi and GPS electronics are just under the flash shoe, hiding behind the word "Canon".

[EDIT]. Your repair receipt should describe which assemblies, if any, were changed out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would also suggest giving Canon a call to straighten this out.  Do you have RAW files of images taken just before the camera was sent in (even better if the EXIF data shows they were taken after the original repair ticket was initiated) to show that there were no sensor flaws at that point.  Check whether you can provide this type of "evidence" before initiating the call to Canon because of the sensor is "badly, badly" scratched it would be obvious in the images. 

Good luck.  I have had some service and numerous camera and lens cleanings through the CPS process and never have had an issue nor have any of my Canon using friends.  What you describe is certainly not typical of Canon so something would have to go badly wrong for what you described.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

robbcruzz
Apprentice
Also, ebiggs, your comment is very assumptive and borderline rude. I came here asking for input and if anyone had encountered similar issues. I figured on a Canon forum, people would know where their cameras come from and if I/anyone had bought some second hand body off of the street, I highly doubt it would be sent to a repair facility, who already has my camera, as detailed in my OP.

"...and borderline rude"

Apologies if it came off that way. It was not meant to be, just informative. Your experience does not sound like Canon.  That is why I replied as I did.

I urge you to call that number, 1 (800) 652-2666, and ask for an explanation.  It does not sound like the Canon I know.  Best Buy must be some sort of a middleman in this (?) and that is not necessary if it is a real Canon USA camera.   

The 6D Mk II isn't old enough to be requiring that kind of repair.  A bad on/off switch, yes, I can understand that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements