cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg 70D Image issue

spvasan
Contributor

Dear Members,

I have 70D, which is an upgrade from Nikon DSLR which I bought against my wellwishers advise (recommend Nikon 7100) and I feel bad I could not go with their advise. 

Issue: Image even in Auto is not sharp (I took same image with my friends Nikon 7100 it came our very clear and sharp) Appreciate your inputs on this how can I fix. 

Can I: Is it ok to try my fiends Nikon 7100 lens into my Canon 70D (He has 18-140mm lens) ?

Or is there any other ways to correct this pl.

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The lens systems are not directly compatible and interchangeable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks

diverhank
Authority

You haven't stated what lens you're using or any info regarding what you think is blurry (example pictures would be nice).  At this stage, I hate to say this but you sound like an internet troll 🙂 which I think is not the case.

The 70D and whatever kit lens that comes with it, when working properly is very good and should produce clear and sharp pictures.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hi Diverhank, I have been using the lens came with it.. ESF18-55mm & EFS55-250mm. I have blurred image only while using ESF18-55mm lens not in the other lens. Most of the time I use only Auto mode. Thats I reason I wanna to try using another lens and check.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Likely there is something else happening and it's even possible that it's an issue with your specific camera or lens, but it could also be you and/or the shooting conditions.  

The 70D is certainly capable of producing extremely sharp images and Canon has some impressive lenses (you don't mention which lens you are using).

For example, here's a link to a Canon 70D photo group on Flickr (all of these images are reportedly taken using a Canon 70D).

https://www.flickr.com/groups/70d/pool/

"Sharp" is a non-specific term that tends to mean different things to different people.  Can you describe specifically what you are seeing (or not seeing) that you don't like?

Is the image out of focus?

Do you see "noise" in the image?

Does the image not have enough contrast?

Does it have too much contrast?

Are you holding the camera to your eye to look through the viewfinder or are you using the "live view" (LCD screen on the back)?

While I do not have a 70D... but assuming you have blurred images, there are a few reasons why this commonly happens.

1)  Shutter speed was too slow for hand-held photography.

That is typically a result of exposure choices you made.  If you use 'auto' mode, the camera tries to pick reasonably safe exposures based on the amount of light available.  In very poor lighting conditions, the camera may have no choice except to use a slow shutter speed.  So if you suspect this could be a reason... then test the camera in extremely bright lighting (such as outdoors in mid-day sun... it's not the most flattering light, but it certainly is bright and the camera would likely select a very fast shutter speed.)

BTW, this problem typically happens because the camera moved while the shutter was open.  If the camera were on a tripod you would likely get better results as long as you were not photographing a moving subject.

2)  Subject to camera distance changed AFTER the camera locked focus.

This happens when the camera uses the default "One Shot" focus mode on moving subjects.  In this mode, the camera adjusts focus until it can confirm it got accurate focus on "something" (presumably it's the subject you want... but that's another topic).  Once it achieves focus... it stops trying to focus.  If the subject then moves (or if you move) then the focus is no longer accurate.  The camera will not automatically know this happened.  You have to release the shutter button and press it again to get it to re-focus.

3)  Wrong focus point was slected.

By default, the camera will use all available focus points (you can actually tell it to use a specific focus point -- which is what most photographers do).  The focus system generally assumes that whatever subject was NEAREST to the camera is the thing you wanted to photograph.  So suppose you are trying to photograph a person on the far side of a table, but there's a flower arrangement on the table.   The camera will focus on the flower arrangement because it is closer AND you let it use any focus point it wants.

To fix that, just switch to a focus mode where you control the focus point selection.

These are just a few of the more common reasons for missed focus... but there can be other more-advanced reasons... it is possible to "calibrate" the focus of any given camera body + lens combination.  Generally the gear comes pre-calibrated and usually (but not always) you'll find it's pretty good right out of the box.  But just occasionally some calibration is needed via a procedure called "Auto Focus Micro-Adjustment" (it's a feature of your camera).  Usually we test the camera to determine if it's consistently focusing too close ... or too far... and then tell the camera to compensate by focusing a few units nearer/farther until we are happy with the results.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim,

Thanks, Im not a pro, but I take lot of photos using my DSLR ( Nikon in the past and now Canon 70D) in the past and most of my friends appreciate the photos. But comparing the photos taken in Nikon and canon both my spouse and I are not happy about the sharpness. Most of the time I take my kids indoor in auto mode. I tried to reset to factory setup couple of times too.

Please let me now how to do the calibration? May be this can help
Awaiting for your help.

Since the issue is only with the 18-55 lens, it may be a problem with the lens itself (you may have a bad copy... it's not a common issue, but that doesn't mean it never happens.)

Here's a video that walks through one way to test & adjust auto-focus (this version uses the Canon EOS Utility software):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fqWcgtHWA

There are numerous videos that will walk you through different methods to test & correct auto-focus micro adjustment (AFMA).  There's even software that does it automatically.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Likely there is something else happening and it's even possible that it's an issue with your specific camera or lens, but it could also be you and/or the shooting conditions.  

The 70D is certainly capable of producing extremely sharp images and Canon has some impressive lenses (you don't mention which lens you are using).

For example, here's a link to a Canon 70D photo group on Flickr (all of these images are reportedly taken using a Canon 70D).

https://www.flickr.com/groups/70d/pool/

"Sharp" is a non-specific term that tends to mean different things to different people.  Can you describe specifically what you are seeing (or not seeing) that you don't like?

Is the image out of focus?

Do you see "noise" in the image?

Does the image not have enough contrast?

Does it have too much contrast?

Are you holding the camera to your eye to look through the viewfinder or are you using the "live view" (LCD screen on the back)?

While I do not have a 70D... but assuming you have blurred images, there are a few reasons why this commonly happens.

1)  Shutter speed was too slow for hand-held photography.

That is typically a result of exposure choices you made.  If you use 'auto' mode, the camera tries to pick reasonably safe exposures based on the amount of light available.  In very poor lighting conditions, the camera may have no choice except to use a slow shutter speed.  So if you suspect this could be a reason... then test the camera in extremely bright lighting (such as outdoors in mid-day sun... it's not the most flattering light, but it certainly is bright and the camera would likely select a very fast shutter speed.)

BTW, this problem typically happens because the camera moved while the shutter was open.  If the camera were on a tripod you would likely get better results as long as you were not photographing a moving subject.

2)  Subject to camera distance changed AFTER the camera locked focus.

This happens when the camera uses the default "One Shot" focus mode on moving subjects.  In this mode, the camera adjusts focus until it can confirm it got accurate focus on "something" (presumably it's the subject you want... but that's another topic).  Once it achieves focus... it stops trying to focus.  If the subject then moves (or if you move) then the focus is no longer accurate.  The camera will not automatically know this happened.  You have to release the shutter button and press it again to get it to re-focus.

3)  Wrong focus point was slected.

By default, the camera will use all available focus points (you can actually tell it to use a specific focus point -- which is what most photographers do).  The focus system generally assumes that whatever subject was NEAREST to the camera is the thing you wanted to photograph.  So suppose you are trying to photograph a person on the far side of a table, but there's a flower arrangement on the table.   The camera will focus on the flower arrangement because it is closer AND you let it use any focus point it wants.

To fix that, just switch to a focus mode where you control the focus point selection.

These are just a few of the more common reasons for missed focus... but there can be other more-advanced reasons... it is possible to "calibrate" the focus of any given camera body + lens combination.  Generally the gear comes pre-calibrated and usually (but not always) you'll find it's pretty good right out of the box.  But just occasionally some calibration is needed via a procedure called "Auto Focus Micro-Adjustment" (it's a feature of your camera).  Usually we test the camera to determine if it's consistently focusing too close ... or too far... and then tell the camera to compensate by focusing a few units nearer/farther until we are happy with the results.

Good points.  I think #1 or #3 above could be the culprit.

1.). Need faster shutter. The OP is likely shooting the 55-250mm telephoto outside in the daytime with plenty of light for a fast shutter speed to prevent camera shake or subject motion blur. . The 18-55 May be being used indoors in less light and on AUTO the camera may be picking too slow a shutter. 

3.). Camera using wrong AF point. Read the manual and learn how to pick just the one center AF point to be active. Put that point on your subject when you shoot. See if that helps. 

Also the following miscellaneous:

Make sure the lens is on AF autofocus rather than MF manual focus.

Make sure you are holding the camera up to your eye to shoot like a DSLR, using the eyepiece/viewfinder, and NOT holding it out at arms length like a cell phone camera or point and shoot camera. You need to do this for stability to avoid camera shake. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Tim,

Excellent points, Problem is Noise in the Image. Exactly you are correct , I use 18-55mm in indoor and 55-250mm in outdoor. Yesterday I tried factory reset. today I will take halloween pictures today and see how it comes. Keep you posted. Thanks a lot.
Announcements