cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished 80d...blurry out of focus photos.. HELP!

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Im new to photography, started this year with a rebel t6 that I outgrew fast. I seemed to learn pretty quick and have always shot in manual mode. Quality of my t6 photos are great! Clear, crisp, and so on.

decided to upgrade to a 80d, and picked one up through canon refurbished. Well the majority of my shots come out blurry. For example, i do car photography {stills} and lets say the wheels are out of focus, or the lights... cant seem to get consistent clear crisp photos.

Not sure if its me, or the camera. Seems all of my lenses will do it. Mostly shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 and nothing comes out clear under f2.8. Best around 4.

Ive tried everything. Tripod, high shutter speed, manual focus.. live view, view finder, tried all different focus point methods. The one wierd thing I noticed is when i used live view today, it showed the image on the screen perfectly in focus and crisp. As soon as the shutter went of it became blurry. That was on a tripod, using 2 sec delay.

Hope someone can help me...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KevinG1 wrote:
Gotcha. Ill just need to shoot more and see what methods work best for me.

Also i did a micro af adjustment and found my canon 50mm 1.4 was off a bit. Definitely wasn't helping me

I suggest that you reset your AFMA back to zero, until you gain more experience with the camera.  Learn how to half press the shutter when using One Shot mode, so that you can evaluate the AF points.

When you have all AF points active, like [A} mode, you may see multiple AF points light up.  Be aware of the fact that the camera is indicating which AF points are capable of achieving a focus lock, but only one AF point will actually be used to focus the shot.  The automatically selected AF point will typically rest on the closest object under an active AF point.

It is highly recommended that you configure the camera to always use the center AF point, which is the most sensitive and accurate AF point.  And, always use One Shot focusing mode, until you gain more experience using the camera to focus on the subject that you want.    

One final note.  The AF points are actually slightly larger than the red boxes you see in the viewfinder.  Placing an AF point on something may not always focus where you want it to.  The camera will focus on the highest contrast area that it can find within the AF point coverage area.  So aim your camera at vertical and horizontal contrasting lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Someone recommended the reikan focall software. I was going to give that a shot

@KevinG1 wrote:
Someone recommended the reikan focall software. I was going to give that a shot

I had poor luck with that software.

Just follow Canon's AF Microadjustment Guidebook

Prior to Canon releasing that guidebook I recommended using the 'DOT Tune' method, but, at this point I would use the methods described in Canon's guidebook. 

Thanks for posting the link. I was just unsure because he said to send it back because its bad. When i did my adjustment, +8 and +12 made it worse. +10 seemed to be perfect for me.

@KevinG1 wrote:

Thanks for posting the link. I was just unsure because he said to send it back because its bad. When i did my adjustment, +8 and +12 made it worse. +10 seemed to be perfect for me.

Did you make the adjustements with the aperture wide open.  Your “blurry” shot looks like it front focused.  

Yes wide open. But those photos i posted are with my afma set back to 0. 

When you use Live View, does it close the shutter to focus?   <— One Shot, when you half press the shutter.

@Waddizzle wrote:

When you use Live View, does it close the shutter to focus?   <— One Shot, when you half press the shutter.

In Live View, doesn't it, almost by definition, use the sensor to focus? IOW, it couldn't be focusing with the shutter closed?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

In Live View, doesn't it, almost by definition, use the sensor to focus? IOW, it couldn't be focusing with the shutter closed?

Canon DSLRs can do either.  I think turning off ExpSim is what causes it to switch modes, from image sensor focusing to AF sensor focusing.  

naipes indicates that using single point AF with center FP gives poor results (i.e. agreement between viewfinder and LiveView, but using one FP up gives good results.

Can anyone explain that other that being due to a camera issue?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

OP indicates that using single point AF with center FP gives poor results (i.e. agreement between viewfinder and LiveView, but using one FP up gives good results.

Can anyone explain that other that being due to a camera issue?

I cannot.  But, the problem seems to happen with only the 50mm f/1.8 lens.   [???].

I was going to suggest switching focusing modes in Live View, as I describe just above, to “Quick Mode” and comparing results, assuming the camera body has it.

Announcements