cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red & green outlines in photos

Jzero
Contributor

Hello - I am new here and thanks for having me.

I am having problems getting good focus with my 5D Mk II and I have just noticed that there are green outlines on left of objects and red on right edges. This occurs where there are strong contrasts especially between dark and light colours.
I am using a 24-105 mm 1:4 L IS USM lens.

What could be the problem please?
Feeling devastated.

27 REPLIES 27

"Photoshops CS6. I would appreciate to learn how to remove it, thanks."

PS opens all Raw file in ACR. In ACR there is a CA correction tab.  Just click it and it is pretty much self explanatory. The free form Canon DPP also has a CA correction tool that works very well.  It is free!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is likely CA (chromatic aberration).  All lenses have it some just more than others.  Mostly it is very easy to correct in post editing.  If you don't have a good editor like Photoshop and/or Lightroom, the free from Canon DPP will do the trick.

"I am using a 24-105 mm 1:4 L IS USM lens."  Has this lens been damaged in any way?  Maybe just a little drop or something?

CA will be more apparent if you enlarge the shot a lot.  HIgh contrast areas like white on dark will show it more. If you are using LR you can set up a preset to do CA correction and lens distortion correction upon import. So you will never notice it again.

EB

Hello. I bought both the camera and lens second-hand.
(Which was all I could afford at this time)

"(Which was all I could afford at this time)"

The 5D Mk II and ef 24-105mm f4L is a very nice combo.  It made me a lot of money for along time.

EB

Ebiggs.

Yes, I love this combo too! Would have bought a Mk IV if I could have, but the Mk II, with this lens, has really helped my photography.

On my website, all the photos were taken with Mk II and that lens (the uni gear), but I can't seem to get the same detail with the camera and lens I bought. I will take it into a local camera repairer and ask for their opinion.

I am starting to wonder if the Image Stabiliser on the lens isn't working.

www.grantfotographi.com

"I am starting to wonder if the Image Stabiliser on the lens isn't working."

CA is in the lens itself. It will be there regardless of the IS being on or off.  It should be easy to tell if the IS is working properly.

EB

Hello ebiggs,

The lack of sharp focus makes me think the IS isn't working. On the uni Canon/lens the difference in focus was very obvious with IS on and off. But in this camera/lens, I can't see a difference.

I won't get the camera repairer to attenpt to fix anything, but they will be able to tell me if focus is a problem.
I will then send to Canon for  repair if needed.

Thanks for all your help. I wasn't aware that CA was a common problem nor that it could be easily fixed.

Again thanks 🙂

IS has nothing to do with focus. It simply moves the image around on the sensor to compensate for lens movement, as determined by internal aceleration sensors.

CA is a problem anytime you have a non-flat piece of glass. It is the same reason prisms can split light into a spectrum.

"The lack of sharp focus makes me think the IS isn't working."

That is really is no indication.  IS doesn't make a lens any sharper. It makes you sharper.  I believe your only recourse is to have someone, Canon, check it out as you will always think something is wrong even if it isn't.

EB

Yes I will get it checked. Only way to know.
Thanks 🙂

Announcements