cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red & green outlines in photos

Jzero
Contributor

Hello - I am new here and thanks for having me.

I am having problems getting good focus with my 5D Mk II and I have just noticed that there are green outlines on left of objects and red on right edges. This occurs where there are strong contrasts especially between dark and light colours.
I am using a 24-105 mm 1:4 L IS USM lens.

What could be the problem please?
Feeling devastated.

27 REPLIES 27

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That sounds like chromatic aberration.  It is unusual to see in an “L” lens, though.  

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.Cropped_200.png

Notice the purple and green fringing.  

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.png

The shot was highly cropped.  Most lens correction algorithms can remove just about all of it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello Waddizzle,

Thanks for the sample shots. Single colour purple in those images and I can see it in a fair bit of the image (?).
My lines are green and red with green always at left and red on right of objects.

Hi Waddizzle - I can see the green in those images. Yes same problem I have.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What software are you using? We can show you where to adjust it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am using Photosop CS6.
Only see it at 100%

"I am using Photosop CS6."

Shoot Raw file format and use ACR to convert the file into PS.  CA is easily corrected in ACR. Also do lens correction in ACR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello ebiggs.

I always shoot in RAW and if I remember correcrtly there was no (or barely perceptible) red/green outlines in PS RAW editor.
However, once the image opens from RAW to PS, then zoomed to 100% the lines are there.

I took this image as I was having trouble getting a focussed image (f11/100). The green and red lines are clear on the metal work against the white concrete tank stand. This is a jpeg for web, but the tiff has the lines too.

I'll look into doing what you advised.

I used a borrowed camera all last semester from uni (same Canon model and lens) yet no aberrations.

Thanks for your advice.

Red_Green_WEB.jpg

Hello jrhoffman75,

Photoshops CS6. I would appreciate to learn how to remove it, thanks.
I mostly convert to black & white but the fact that the problem is there is worrying. In the bl&wh conversion, the lines will still be visible at 100% I imagine, as lines that shouldn't be there.

Thanks.

https://clickitupanotch.com/chromatic-aberration-photoshop/

Here's one way. Others may have additional advice, since I am not a Photoshop user. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements