cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording the screen of the EOS R

michaelanthony
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I am a photography teacher and am trying to film a segment of a course that requires me to show the actual screen of the camera.  I know with Sony cameras you can record the screen using an Atomos Ninja but was wondering if this was the same thing with the EOS-R before buying the Ninja

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It has an HDMI port. If it is like all the other Canon's the HDMI signal is simply the video from the LCD screen.

Untitled.jpg

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Since you're a teacher and making instructional material, do you just need the image on the screen, or do you also need to record menus or other image info overlaid on the screen?

Yes, I would want all of the settings and focus points, etc.

Ooooof Robot tongue. . . I suspect that the camera's HDMI output might only be the streaming image. You're wanting to add another whole layer of screen info on top of that. I'm thinking someone else on here will know if there's another possible workaround or not.

How about scrolling thru the menus and looking for ways to turn some of the shooting information displays on or off. But that may still only affect what you see on the camera's LCD and not what's fed to the HDMI output jack.

Tim
Authority

michaelanthony, 

By pressing the <INFO> button on the back of the camera one can change the displays that are output from the camera.  That will give you all the options available for output on this model. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

You begged the question, Tim: Is the HDMI output a mirror of the LCD display with all of the overlays?

MattLaverick
Contributor

You can get a live view, complete with settings menu, using the hdmi output

20200316_103707.jpg

Thanks for the update. You might message the OP with this information in case he's still having issues getting the desired results. Or maybe someone else will come by searching for the same info.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but did this require any additional software or hardware?

This obviously shows one of the camera menus on your monitor. Will it also display an image with the overlaid shooting information?

No additional software, just a mini HDMI cable.
Yes it shows the overlaid shooting info too. Basically an exact copy of the back of the camera.
Announcements