cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for computer

BrianB
Contributor
Need some idea about what I should be looking for in a computer to buy, so that I can move pictures from a canon 50D to the computer and prepare them for print.I dont need to do a large volume Im no longer working so I dont need to deal with clients.
18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest waiting for a sale on a gaming laptop.  I like Dell because they have genuine Intel processors and NVidia graphics cards.  Look for one with a two internal hard drives.  A solid state boot drive and a conventional drive for storage.  

I added 8 TB of portable storage to my laptop by adding pieces of Velcro to the back of the screen.  I have two 4TB USB drives on the back of monitor.  It makes for a great portable workstation for photo post processing.  

Of course, I have more than two 4 TB drives.  Every major shoot gets its' own LR catalog.  Now I need a means to track all of the catalogs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@BrianB,

You haven't told us what type of solution you actually need.

Desktop or laptop. 

Does it have to be portable, or might a desktop be better?  Are you going to use dual displays.  Your post states "preparet hem for print"..  does that mean transfer only, or post production editing before printing.  A desktop costs far less than a laptop as well, but if you don't have displays, etc (currently) then getting a multi-monitor desktop setup is going to cost as much as a lapttop which is going to have a smaller screen.  Depends on your need and internded use.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BrianB
Contributor
A desktop is fine and yes I do plan on doing post production. I was looking at a Dell with core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 1TB harddrive and windows 10 pro I think the monitor was above 1200 x 800

"I was looking at a Dell with core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 1TB harddrive and windows 10 pro I think the monitor was above 1200 x 800”"

"Not enough RAM. I strongly advise a beefier platform than that. Budget laptops and desktops won’t cut it."

Not he nor anybody can't say that with any credence.  It solely depends on what post editor you want to use.  If you want the best, Photoshop, he is correct.  It would be agonizingly slow.  If you use some web based free editor it is probably OK.

Before you decide on and buy a computer you need to know what you are going to do with it.

"... I think the monitor was above 1200 x 800”"

Pretty much meaningless spec. The resolution you can use depends on the resolutions your monitor supports.  LCD monitors, also called flat-panel displays, and laptop screens often support higher resolutions but all work best at a specific resolution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I was looking at a Dell with core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 1TB harddrive and windows 10 pro I think the monitor was above 1200 x 800”"

"Not enough RAM. I strongly advise a beefier platform than that. Budget laptops and desktops won’t cut it."

Not he nor anybody can't say that with any credence.  It solely depends on what post editor you want to use.  If you want the best, Photoshop, he is correct.  It would be agonizingly slow.  If you use some web based free editor it is probably OK.

Before you decide on and buy a computer you need to know what you are going to do with it.

I made that recommendation with the utmost confidence.  Today's budget PCs and laptops are obsolete before you open the box.  This is why they are so inexpensive.

It does depend on what post editor you want to use.  Even Canon recommends that you use a computer with a separate graphics card when running Canon's Digital Photo Professional.  Otherwise, performance will be compromised. 

Windows 10 has evolved by leaps and bounds  since it's announcement in 2014, and later release in 2015.  Microsoft announced years ago that there will be no Windows 11.  Windows 10 will be updated indefinitely for the near future.

Over time, the physical requirements have remained the same.  Windows 10 can still run on a machine with 2 GB of RAM,, but just not very well.  Budget PCs have grown from offering 2 GB of RAM to 8 GB of RAM.  

RAM is cheap.  If you want do process a couple dozen photos, then 8 GB will get you by.  If you want to edit and process a hundred photos, then you will feel the pinch of only 8 GB of RAM and no graphics card.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I can move pictures from a canon 50D to the computer and prepare them for print."

Any computer that can run your editing software will do that. The important thing for you to know is whether the computer will run the software.  I would stay away from any Mac or Apple product. They cost way too much and have too many issues.

I like and use external HD's.  That also lowers the computers cost since you will be storing photos on a HD that can be totally removed from the computer. Stored in a safe place.  I currently have five external HD's.  Each is a 2TB drive. I do have a high end Dell desktop with a 32" monitor but that's more a hold over thing from my business now turned hobby days.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...and prepare them for print."

This is a big question.  If you want top drawer prints, like the ones you can buy from professional photod printers, you need a true photo printer.  Not a all-in-one office jet or home jet.  If that turns you off, you will be better served by using one of the pro printing services than trying to do it yourself.

An example and a very good one, BTW, is the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer.  Canon almost gives this printer way from time to time.  It is on a pretty good sale right now at B&H. Retail is around $500, B&H has it for $333 with a $200 Canon rebate making the printer final cost $133. Maybe other stores have it too they probably do.

Be warned professional home printing is not easy. It requires a lot of work and attention to detail.  It is not cheap either. The cost of the printer is the cheapest part! Ink and paper can be truly expensive.  I have 8x10 paper that is $5 per sheet and up!. Sometimes a lot up.

EB

Did I mention professional quality home printing is not easy or cheap?  Smiley Indifferent

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
”A desktop is fine and yes I do plan on doing post production. I was looking at a Dell with core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 1TB harddrive and windows 10 pro I think the monitor was above 1200 x 800”

“Where’s da beef?”

Not enough RAM. I strongly advise a beefier platform than that. Budget laptops and desktops won’t cut it.

Again. Look for machine with a solid state boot drive for program storage and execution. And a conventional drive for data storage. The is for your apps to run from a solid state drive. I picked one up for under $1000.
Announcements