cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for Case that fits R5 camera w/ attached grip and lens

C0dename_SM0KEY
Contributor

I'm looking for a minimalistic case (not backpack) or holster that fits the R5 camera with an attached battery grip and 24-70mm lens. The point is when I pull the camera out it has to be ready to shoot, and I can put put it away when I'm done without assembling and disassembling afterward. I love product research so I'm open to all suggestions, but I do have a budget in mind (cheaper the better). Other than the camera, I might bring extra batteries and memory cards, but that's it. I won't be bringing laptops or card readers or external hard drives. Thanks all and be well!

Oh and what's the most secure aftermarket strap?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Let'S start with the camera strap.  I think most photographers prefer an over the shoulder sling type of strap with full size camera bodies.  I use the Black Rapid Sport.  I have had it for several years, so they have a new name for it.  I paid about $70 USD for it.

As far as a camera case goes, I think they make those for point=and-shoot bodies, because of their fixed size.  When it comes to an interchangeable lens camera bodies, you are not going to find a case.  A holster will be your best option, IMHO.  

I have a Lowepro holster, which is large enough for a pro size body, with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached.  It is about as big as an American football.  It has an over the shoulder main carrying strap.  It also includes secondary waist strap, which I have never used, to stabilize the bag if you feel the need for it.

Lowepro makes holsters in varying depths.  They also make their holsters in two different widest.  The wider size is ideal for pro size bodies, or full size bodies with a battery grip.  The smaller width is ideal for mid-range bodies without a grip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Hello,

Let'S start with the camera strap.  I think most photographers prefer an over the shoulder sling type of strap with full size camera bodies.  I use the Black Rapid Sport.  I have had it for several years, so they have a new name for it.  I paid about $70 USD for it.

As far as a camera case goes, I think they make those for point=and-shoot bodies, because of their fixed size.  When it comes to an interchangeable lens camera bodies, you are not going to find a case.  A holster will be your best option, IMHO.  

I have a Lowepro holster, which is large enough for a pro size body, with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached.  It is about as big as an American football.  It has an over the shoulder main carrying strap.  It also includes secondary waist strap, which I have never used, to stabilize the bag if you feel the need for it.

Lowepro makes holsters in varying depths.  They also make their holsters in two different widest.  The wider size is ideal for pro size bodies, or full size bodies with a battery grip.  The smaller width is ideal for mid-range bodies without a grip.

Wadizzle, I think you provided the best answer and detail possible.  What the OP is asking for simply doesn't exist.

I also use a Black Rapids Sport Breathe.  Greatest carry rig ever, but you won't get the protection of a case as the two just don't go hand in hand.  I have a LowePro sling backpack too, but they both have different intended uses.  

Ultimate convienence and safe protection don't come together for this type of set up or use case.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

FWIW:

I use the Canon EOS R6 bodies with the 24-105 f/4L, 24-240 and 100-500 lenses.  I don't change lenses in the field, and the best devices I have found so far for carrying them are the LowePro and Think Tank holsters.  Currently I use the LowePro units for the R units and they have worked for me.  I can store the camera+lens+battery grip along with cleaning cloth, spare cards, dust brush etc. without any problem.  The bag has a storm cover for the possiblity that it really throws it down.  Some versions have the ability to lengthen the tube for the lens, and with the ThinkTank units, I have used them with the EOS 7DII+grip+EF100-400 lens without issue.  With the Thinktank units, I also have a massive hip belt that carries the weight of cameras on my hip, thus relieving stress on my back and shoulder.

If budget is an issue, you might try getting something second-hand.  It's worth investing in something sturdy and comfortable to protect your gear and your health.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements