Canon Community Canon Community

Respected Contributor

Re: Recommend a smartphone to run EOS Remote with 6D

@nbphoto wrote:
i did it- working great with 6D.
http://www.lovemyfire.com/side-loading-apps-on-kindle-fire.html
thanks for the idea general direction.
kindle fire HDX has nice resolution for the price.
Cheers,
Nate

Glad it works.  Sounds like the architecture on the HDX is a bit different.  I'm pretty sure I was unable to get EOS Remote to work after sideloading until I rooted it.  But I don't recall for sure.

I hate that Amazon put those restrictions on it, but agreed: The Kindles have some great features for the price.

New Contributor

I have a Canon 6D and a Kindle Fire - I would love to be able to shoot and tether to the kindle (eyes are not what they once were) - could you email me what you mean about "root it"?  Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor

And I just (sorry brandnew to the forum) realized that if I dug deeper I would find additional information ~Sorry!! Will try what I've found in other comments. ~ Nan
Respected Contributor

@Leatherdale wrote:

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Y with Android 2.3.6 to use EOS Remote app with my Canon 6D.  The phone was not compatible, a fact confirmed by e-mail from Samsung.  What would be the least expensive phone to buy to suit my requirements? Also, since I don't actually need it as a phone, would it communicate with the camera via Wi-Fi without a SIM card?

Straight Talk LG Destiny - $20 at Walmart runs Android 5.0 Lollipop