cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I suggest that in Canon DPP one could do a few things and then export a 16 bit TIFF for further editing in Lightroom. This would get the things that DPP does better and also the familiarity of the software one has been using instead of learning new software.

I think DPP would be best for setting the white balance and I would suggest using the digital lens optimizer when you are using Canon lenses, but expect that will not work for Sigma lenses unless the Sigma lenses supply compatible data to the camera. The DPP manual is helpful.

I also suggest using the gamma section of DPP to recover highlights, shadows, saturation and other things that influence color. I like the noise reduction in DPP better than the neural network noise reduction that I have tried. If planning to do noise reduction in other software, then it would be good to disable it in DPP. It might also be a good idea to disable peripheral illumination correction and Auto Lighting Optimizer in the camera menus and enable it in DPP if you like how DPP does it, else do the equivalent in Lightroom. If doing noise reduction in other software, then disable unsharp mask in DPP and do it in the other software after noise reduction.

I use DPP, Gimp, exiftool, GMIC, libraw/decraw_emu, graphicsmagick, hugin, but I do not expect others to agree with my preferences.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

@shawnphoto wrote:

Do you have Photolab 3 or 4? Photolab 4 seems massively improved over v3. Although I have to admit I bought 3 when it came out and gave up on it quickly, too slow and Deep Prime was worse not better. v4 runs faster and produces results very close to what DPP does. 

Me?

All that I use are Canon DPP and Adobe PS/LR.  Creating the camera profile is super simple.  Download their software, take photo of the color checker, and the software creates a camera profile add-in for Lightroom.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What you are doing is creating a proflie for the camera and lens you are using at the time for a shoot.
Like your camera and a lens, but that is not the same as creating the profiles that match your camera settings.
You have Camera Neutral, Camera Standard, Camera Portrait and so on.

Here is what you are doing, plus you need to buy the Mcbeath color checker which is not cheap and more for people that know what they are doing. Unfortunetly this person is trying out trial software.. lol funny thread.

I have a xrite calibator and you would do yourself a favour spending $15 US dollars.

wow spend over 3k for a camera but too cheap to buy the proflies. A much cheaper solution to solve the problem.

@Canonoli wrote:

What you are doing is creating a proflie for the camera and lens you are using at the time for a shoot.
Like your camera and a lens, but that is not the same as creating the profiles that match your camera settings.
You have Camera Neutral, Camera Standard, Camera Portrait and so on.

Here is what you are doing, plus you need to buy the Mcbeath color checker which is not cheap and more for people that know what they are doing. Unfortunetly this person is trying out trial software.. lol funny thread.

I have a xrite calibator and you would do yourself a favour spending $15 US dollars.

wow spend over 3k for a camera but too cheap to buy the proflies. A much cheaper solution to solve the problem.

I've mentioned three times that I got the profiles! They look worse than the Adobe profiles. I'm sorry, but please stop telling me to buy the colorfidelity profiles. I HAVE THEM. That was the first solution I tried for this problem.

lol you don't have a clue what you're doing.

@Canonoli wrote:

lol you don't have a clue what you're doing.

That's totaly possible. I've only been doing this for about 12 years now. I'm not a beginner, but I don't claim to be a pro, either. That's why I was hoping to find someone with more experience who might be able to help me figure out this problem.

@johninbigd wrote:

That's totaly possible. I've only been doing this for about 12 years now. I'm not a beginner, but I don't claim to be a pro, either. That's why I was hoping to find someone with more experience who might be able to help me figure out this problem.

"PEBKAC"

PEBKAC.jpg

Entirely possible, but I'm finding other people with the same issue. For exampe:

https://youtu.be/KWV2C3UsoYs?t=89

Notice when he compares similar shots from the R5 and R6. The R6 simultaneously has areas that are too red and others that are too green. That is very difficult to correct with just white balance.

There are also people in this thread talking about the same problem:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4521342

I know you enjoy saying that it's my error, and it very well could be, but honestly take a look at the photos I posted and tell me you can't see the difference. My photos shot with the R have better colors, better skin tones, more natural contrast, and somehow have more depth and clarity. 

If the problem is me, that's great because that means there is a solution to the problem, whether it's settings or a change in procedures. 

Canonoli
Enthusiast

Actually, Adobe has no profiles for the Canon Eos R5 or R6
If you read a bit, on the Canon Eos R they new that the sensor was the same as the 5D IV so the used that profile for the EOS R.

To get those nice rich tones and color back you need to purchase the profiles from ColorFidelity.com they are $15 and the color will be like it was before. Canon does not supply Adobe with profiles and profiles need to be created.

AnthonyHayzen
Apprentice

There's been a lot of discussion about camera color profiles etc. but I don't see any comment about you having color calibrated your display. Is your display color calibrated? If not then you may not be seeing the correct color no matter what software you use.

Announcements