cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Ben2020 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Like I said, the camera is not the problem.  I'll bet you lunch that just as soon as you return it, Adobe fixes Lightroom.

eos rp release date March 14, 2019

1DX III relesase date  January 2020.

still no camera matching profiles for these cameras

There is some sort of an issue between Adobe and Canon. There are no camera matching profiles for any .CR3 file format cameras except the EOS R and that is attributed to the fact that it uses the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV.

What about the 90D?  I have not heard any of theses types of complaints with the 90D?  People seem to use LR just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No it doesn't. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Lr works just fine with any .CR3 file format camera. It just doesn't have camera matching profiles; just Adobe profiles. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

have you tried colorfidelity profile for 1dx iii?

I do have them.

I haven't done any rigorous evaluation; I want to compare ythem with DPP to see how well gthey emualte the camera profiles as well as seeing what they do for an image regardless of if they are close to DPP.

From a quick look they certainly don't do anything "bad".

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

No it doesn't. 

Lr works just fine with any .CR3 file format camera. It just doesn't have camera matching profiles; just Adobe profiles. 

This topic has always been one of those "under the hood" things I never gave much thought.  

Lately, I have.  I calibrated all of my cameras using ColorChecker, which created camera profile that could be added to LR. Are these the same type of camera profiles being discussed.  It seems like it to me.  I get nearly identical colors from different cameras now, instead of having to tweak each camera body's images after every shoot.

Is the ColorChecker app creating an original file, or is it just tweaking the one that is already installed by Adobe?  ???

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

No it doesn't. 

This topic has always been one of those "under the hood" things I never gave much thought.  

Lately, I have.  I calibrated all of my cameras using ColorChecker, which created camera profile that could be added to LR. Are these the same type of camera profiles being discussed.  It seems like it to me.  I get nearly identical colors from different cameras now, instead of having to tweak each camera body's images after every shoot.

Is the ColorChecker app creating an original file, or is it just tweaking the one that is already installed by Adobe?  ???

I think I definitely need to invest in ColorChecker. I'm looking at the **bleep** 2 version now. It's only $99. Seems like that would be worth it considering all the time I've put in trying to get these R6 colors right.

EDIT: I just ordered it. I can't wait to try it out on the R6.

@johninbigd wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

No it doesn't. 

I think I definitely need to invest in ColorChecker. I'm looking at the **bleep** 2 version now. It's only $99. Seems like that would be worth it considering all the time I've put in trying to get these R6 colors right.

EDIT: I just ordered it. I can't wait to try it out on the R6.

The name of the camera, which the user selects, appears in the same drop down box as "As Shot".  The LR plugin recognizes the camera.  Instead of "As Shot", I now get the name of the camera(s) that I had entered.  You can save a Preset, apply it on Import, and LR will automatically select the correct camera profile.  

Like I said earlier, I can get near identical colors from different cameras, with the only differences appearing as ISO increases. Seeing how Adobe recently added adaptive ISO correction, that difference seems like it can be cancelled out, too.

timaylen
Apprentice

Yes I recently got the R6 after having gone mirrorless with the R. AF is fantastic by wow, the wifi is horrible and I just can't get a straight answer as to why it differs so much from the R. The wifi menu system is so different on the 6, with the main issue for me being that I can't connect straight to the cloud with the new canon.image app. Everyone on YouTube and FB groups keeps talking about how its great sending pics to the phone. I don't actually want to do that anymore since canon launched this app! As you can now (with the R) go straight from camera to cloud. But trying to connect and do this from the 6 is just impossible. The R works so well and I am sure I'm not missing anything. Maybe its an iOS thing!

Am not sure what wifi problems you are having but I'd be interested to hear if its along these lines.

I just shot an event with the R and 6 where I was posting right from camera to the image.canon service and then automatically pushing to Google Photos. I don't want to fill up my phone with photos! The 6 was so bad I had to take the card out and out and upload from the R.

JasminJasa
Apprentice

R6 colors and contrast are simply cr4p. Every other camera I have has got better colors. My ancient d50 nikon wipes the floor with this overpriced new camera. I have found no effective way to correct this (yes, yes, I got colorfidelity, color profiles, still cr4p) . Lr processing of these image is subpar still two years after its release, hell even OOC JPGs are *nowhere* near my 5dmk4. OOC looks more like my iPhone 13 pics than an dSLR. R6 video is a different story, amazing files.

Any samples?

Announcements