cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

Even with a calibrated monitor (mine), you will see flat looking colours in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop.
So, if you want colors like Camera Standard, Camera Portrait, Vivid and so on in Adobe Raw converter than you need to use better profiles than the Adobe proflies. Like Adobe Standard, Color, Vivid, Portrait.

You may find other software that has a good proflie already, but the poster here was saying he/she use's Lightroom.

Once again, if you use Adobe products, then I think you want new profiles.
This info has been out there since the introduction of the eos R5 on a few photograph sites.

With the Eos R, Adobe used the profiles from the 5D Mark IV as Adobe new canon was using the same sensor in the R and the 5D IV..

If your really not like the camera for other reasons, than sell it..  I own the R5 and think its a great camera.

I agree calibration is very important, especially if one is printing, but in this thread the OP is comparing two images, so a calibration bias would most likely impact both images the same. 

I personally would have no confidence in assessments of camera differences unless I compared output using Canon DPP. The output from any third party software is dependent on how good the created camera profiles are. 

The other option would be to rely on camera created JPEGs with similar settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

For a guy that has a 10k camera the Mark III (hybid) Calibration is used for printing so that what you see on your screen matches your prints. Calibrating your monitor does not instantly change the image to go WOW look at that difference that calibration made. It is for people that print photos.

The people that made the proflies I suggested had multiple images sent to them by users that actually own the cameras. DAH!

Myself a 40+ year photographer that only used pro bodies like the 1D Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV, and  1 dx and 1dx !!
Personally I would not drop the 10k for the Hybrid Mark III and glad I did not buy that camera and got the R5 and 85 1.2 for what you paid for the Mark III and no animal eye auto focus on the brick you own which is a great camera but not worth the asking price.

I shoot wildlife and mostly birds in flight. And comparing the excellent 1Dx Mark II to the R5
I have no regrets moving to mirroless, and just purchased the 28-70 F2 for 4k in Canada.

Oh and I also own the new Pro 300 printer.... and I have been shooting since the 70's film era to digital to mirrorless.
So I do  think I know a little bit about the hobby.

So try all the software you can until you find the one that has the right profiles... and all the other things that Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop does so well.

Ben2020
Contributor

Hello !

I have 1Dx, EOS-R, I rented eos r5 and r6.

And i have the same problem with colors on this new cameras. Default LR profiles very bad,

Only one solution at the moment is to use DPP->TIFF->LR

P.S. Amazing situation at the moment, you buy a camera (1Dx III, R5, R6) and Adobe software  for xxxx $$$ and you get a **bleep**ty color as a result 

Also I liked the colors from 1dx III more, then R6 and R5

@Ben2020 wrote:

Hello !

I have 1Dx, EOS-R, I rented eos r5 and r6.

And i have the same problem with colors on this new cameras. Default LR profiles very bad,

Only one solution at the moment is to use DPP->TIFF->LR

P.S. Amazing situation at the moment, you buy a camera (1Dx III, R5, R6) and Adobe software  for xxxx $$$ and you get a **bleep**ty color as a result 

Also I liked the colors from 1dx III more, then R6 and R5

Yeah, I totally understand. The quality of results I was getting with the R is many times better than what I get from the R6. It's too late to return it for full price, but I'm going to do it anyway and just take the loss on it. I love shooting with the R6, but the shooting advantages do not outweight the fact that I can't get the results that meet my standards. 

What's interesting about your comment is that the R6 and 1DXiii allegedly have the same sensor. That's why I was so comfortable buying the R6 without trying it out first. The 1DXiii sensor is superb. But Canon has done something to the color in the R6. It is not the same end result as the 1DXiii even if the sensors are similar.

Like I said, the camera is not the problem.  I'll bet you lunch that just as soon as you return it, Adobe fixes Lightroom.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Like I said, the camera is not the problem.  I'll bet you lunch that just as soon as you return it, Adobe fixes Lightroom.

That would be exactly my luck!  lol  But I have an update. I created a custom preset with the following settings that are getting me results I like:

* Colorfidelty R6 profile Fine Detail V1

* Color Temp 5500, hue +10 toward magenta (these shots were with flash, but WB set to Flash is far too yellow)

* Saturation -7

* Shadows raised a bit (around +10 to +20, depending)

* Highlights brought way down

* Some extremely minor Color toning

The first three steps are the big ones. The other Color Fidelity profiles do not look good and I've contacted the creator with some examples of what's going wrong. But the Fine Detail profile makes a big difference. There are no Adobe profiles that work at all. I definitely have to learn how to handle the highlights and shadows with this beast. They react very differently than the R.

I appreciate everyone hanging with me while I worked through this process.

@Waddizzle wrote:

eos rp release date March 14, 2019

1DX III relesase date  January 2020.

still no camera matching profiles for these cameras

@Ben2020 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

eos rp release date March 14, 2019

1DX III relesase date  January 2020.

still no camera matching profiles for these cameras

There is some sort of an issue between Adobe and Canon. There are no camera matching profiles for any .CR3 file format cameras except the EOS R and that is attributed to the fact that it uses the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

There is some sort of an issue between Adobe and Canon. There are no camera matching profiles for any .CR3 file format cameras except the EOS R and that is attributed to the fact that it uses the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV.

users pay for that issue

Announcements