cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real world performance of 1DX MKII vs. MKI at low light reception for stills

mjcphoto
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here had real world insight into how the 1DX MKII performs with focussing at a low light reception vs. the MKI. I'm still using my 1D MKI and 5D MK3 - both need focus assist in low light recption conditions. I've been using 3rd party triggers (Godox) to trigger off camera lights (also Godox) lately, but when I move into the reception I've had to add the Canon flash into the mix as the Godox flashes assist beam just doesn't cut it when paired with my cameras. Was wondering if the assist beam is even needed with the MKII? Ideally, I'm guessing that if I hold out for the MKII, that would be my best bet, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

11 REPLIES 11

It's been confirmed that the 1DX MKII focuses faster from both the internal documents/ technology upgrades (now has a dedicated processor to focusing and metering) as well as from the real world reviews. It's low light sensitivity has also been expanded to -3ev. The tech upgrades are over the 1DX. The reviews I've read and seen were not using live view. Was interested in hearing from real world users even still.

Thank you,

Michael

BTW, I too felt the same way about the Sony - it felt like a toy camera in my hand and although I only played with it for a half and hour, I couldn't see getting used to the ergonomics in moving the focus point around and settings after being spoiled by the 1D series all these years. I could see how portrait photographers might like it, but for sports and weddings, I just don't know. Maybe I'm just old skool.
Announcements