cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Canon "Shoot failed" Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 (EOS UTILITY FREEZES)

Manduck2k3
Contributor

Does anyone know why EOS Utilities would have an issue pulling an image off a 5D mk 2 or 6D? I used some software that gives me an error SHOOT failed. Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 Reset the imager.

This appears to be a custom error messege, but when trying to use eos utilitys when I try taking a shot with the remorte shoot thing (where you hit the button on the software and the camera takes a photo) it will hang up.

I have turned off the camera unplugged it and replugged it in and sometimes it will work again sometimes it won't. I suspect there is some sort of communication error that the camera cannot talk to the computer for some reason.

Hoping someone here knows of a more perminate fix.

Thanks in advance.

29 REPLIES 29

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Help someone to help you.  Please describe the exact conditions and steps that it take to reproduce the problem.  In this way, someone with similar equipment can try to reproduce your issue.  Otherwise, people will be forced to speculate, like what I'm about to do.

It almost sounds like you are shooting while your camera is tethered ot a computer.  You could have a physical conneciton issue.  Try a different cable.  Also, if any devices are plugged into AC adaptors, unplug them and try it without them.

[EDIT]  In other words, leave it unplugged and use it that way for a while to see if issue goes away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes all the photos are taken while the camera is directly plugged into the compute running the remote shoot type connection.

It is also plugged into the wall with a battery adaptor but I am able to unplug and replug the power. Doing so actually seems to get it working again for a while.. My concern is that I will need to do this as often as I have been. I take about 5 images each camera use but every 10 uses or so I find myself needing to restart the camera... 

I think it might have something to do with the computer downloading the image to the computer.. Possible a stack overflow?

The custom software I uses gives me this:

Failed To Download.PNG

Which means nothing to me... The Canon EOS Utilities software (when I try opening it without resetting it) just freezes.

Your error message is meaningless to me, too.  I'm going to ignore it.  In fact, if you're having issues with a "custom software" package, I am going to be of no help to you, at all.  Sorry, but "custom software" is off-topic, especially when you don't name it.

As far as your AC adapter goes, you've begun to confirm my original suspicions about a phyisical problem with the electrical connection in your communication cable. The mere fact that it seems to work better without the adaptors plugged is highly suggestive of an issue with the physcial connection.  It's called a ground loop, or a bad cable, or both.

In fact, I now suspect that you might have a piece of custom hardware in the loop, something which I cannot and will not assist you with.  Sorry, but what else do you expect me to do.  I think you need to consult with wherever you purchased your custom software and hardware.  Good luck.

BTW, I wouldn't operate all of that equipment with all of the AC adaptors pluggen in, either.  There is obviously a power related issue associated with it, which always means there is a danger of FIRE.

"The mere fact that it seems to work better without the adaptors plugged"  I am not sure where you are pulling that from. The camera only shoots remotely while connected to the computer using a usb cable. (Like using remote shoot with eos utilities)  it is designed to do this. Also the power adapter is also designed to go to the battery area to the wall with a converter in between. All the parts are by Canon.

Only 3 things are powered, the power cord for the compute monitor, the power cord for the pc, and the imager. They are not all in the same plug. The camera is plugged into a surge protector on a seperate outlet than the computer and monitor.

The only thing I do to fix it is turn off the camera then turn it back on. There is no "custom hardware" at all. Also I get the same issue regardless of if I use the custom software OR the CANON EOS UTILITY 2.13.30..  I could take 60 or so shots with the EOS and then it freezes.

I don't expect any assistance with the issue of the other software.. I would like to know why EOS freezes... if EOS has a crash log, or something. Something more informitive than just freezing.

Also changing the USB doesn't fix the issue, only turning off the camera (either unplugging the power supply or switching the camera off) seems temporally resolve the issue.  There is no danger of FIRE as you put it.

On a personal note, it seems you have an attitude in your post, which frankly I find offencive. It is unnecessary when based off assumptions that, in this case, are completely erroneous.

"It is also plugged into the wall with a battery adaptor but I am able to unplug and replug the power. Doing so actually seems to get it working again for a while."

That behavior is consistent with the prescence of a ground loop, most likely caused by different grounding techniques of the interface ports on the equipment that you're using.  For example, laptops are notorious for causing gournd loops when connected to an AC adapter. 

You can belileve whatever you want.   Those are the facts.  Ground loops are a fire hazard..  I'm not sorry for being blunt about it.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Help someone to help you.  Please describe the exact conditions and steps that it take to reproduce the problem.  In this way, someone with similar equipment can try to reproduce your issue.  Otherwise, people will be forced to speculate, like what I'm about to do.

It almost sounds like you are shooting while your camera is tethered ot a computer.  You could have a physical conneciton issue.  Try a different cable.  Also, if any devices are plugged into AC adaptors, unplug them and try it without them.

LIke I said, help someone to help you.   Obviously, I'm not that person.  Good luck.

Manduck2k3
Contributor
If you actually read the original post

"but when trying to use eos utilitys when I try taking a shot with the remorte shoot thing (where you hit the button on the software and the camera takes a photo) it will hang up."

When I solely use the eos utility software It freezes. I could tell you all you want about the software after you sign a NDA. Until then I'm not allowed to, leagly.

If there is no way of knowing why the EOS freezes that's fine say so. I am suspecting some sort of stack overflow or similar.

Again I don't know how the canon camera being plugged into the wall with a canon battery adapter ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590445-REG/Canon_3351B002_ACK_E6_AC_Adapter_Kit.html ) could be an issue I've replaced it with a brand new one and still had the same issue. I don't use the battery mainly because I don't need to. The camera is designed to use these adapters.

I posted the error in case the error was somehow related to the canon sdk that the software is based on. Just on the off chance. Also I'm sure that it is possible someone else's used this other software, in fact I know other people use it.

If you have specific questions not about the other software ask them. I've explained how the issue comes up in the eos utility.. I'm not sure what else you want to know.

There is no risk of fire unless you think the usb cable can magically burn with the very very low amount of power that goes threw that cable?

Where would this ground loop be??

image.jpg

@Manduck2k3 wrote:

Where would this ground loop be??

I've already told you.

Announcements