cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Canon "Shoot failed" Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 (EOS UTILITY FREEZES)

Manduck2k3
Contributor

Does anyone know why EOS Utilities would have an issue pulling an image off a 5D mk 2 or 6D? I used some software that gives me an error SHOOT failed. Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 Reset the imager.

This appears to be a custom error messege, but when trying to use eos utilitys when I try taking a shot with the remorte shoot thing (where you hit the button on the software and the camera takes a photo) it will hang up.

I have turned off the camera unplugged it and replugged it in and sometimes it will work again sometimes it won't. I suspect there is some sort of communication error that the camera cannot talk to the computer for some reason.

Hoping someone here knows of a more perminate fix.

Thanks in advance.

29 REPLIES 29

Error 193:
I can't find documentation anywhere on this 193, But I did find this:

https://www.omniref.com/ruby/gems/canonball/1.2.0/symbols/Canonball::EDS_ERR_DEVICE_CF_GATE_CHANGED

This is where I got 193 = disconnect.

When googling, it is not the only place I saw that.

@robertkjr3d wrote:

Error 193:
I can't find documentation anywhere on this 193, But I did find this:

https://www.omniref.com/ruby/gems/canonball/1.2.0/symbols/Canonball::EDS_ERR_DEVICE_CF_GATE_CHANGED

This is where I got 193 = disconnect.

When googling, it is not the only place I saw that.

I'm not sure if this is still true (or really if it was but it's what I've heard) that the cannon codes are hex? Is it possible the cannon sdk is spitting out a hex code that then gets translated into the 193 thing?  Like I said just something I've heard not sure how true it is.. 🙂

>> Hex 193

That could be.. good catch.  Then we would be searching for C1.  I haven't googled that one yet.

>>C1 error
It's hard to google that, because C1 is also a variation of a type of Canon camera.

If you were to assume that the hex code was 0x0193 then that translates to 403 decimal.  But I don't even see any error code for 403.

My EDSDK version is 2.13 (not 2.14... and I see that there's now a 2.15.)  I don't see any links to the developer SDK on the new redesigned Canon website (there's a lot of stuff the old website had that is now missing from the new website.)  The previous site used to have the link to the developer area where you could get the downloads, but I don't see that anymore.  When I do searches (Google) the only hits I get are for Canon developer websites in other countries.  If newer vesions of the SDK have changed error messages or codes then I would not be able to help with that.  😕

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

>>My EDSDK version is 2.13 (not 2.14... and I see that there's now a 2.15.) 

2.15 is not for the camera we using.  According to the documentation.  2.15 is specifically designed for the  EOS 7D Mark II

I don't have the ability to check... but it makes little sense for a company to fork code to support just one single product.

My guess is that the change from 2.14 to 2.15 is that there may be aspects of the 7D II that require the 2.15 update to work (either correctly or to work completely) but that it probably also continues to support all cameras that were supported by 2.14.

When you multiply all the use-case tests that have to be performed against the total number of supported cameras that have to bested and then multiply that by all the computer operating systems that they support, you end up with a huge number of tests and a very large amount of time (probably spanning several months).  You probably would not want to have to reset the test machines to a different SDK level just to test one more camera -- it would be easier if the SDK was simply enhanced to support that new camera in addition to previously supported cameras.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I suppose i can upgrade to 2.15... but that could introduce different issues, when unnesscary.  Probably a-kin to changing Nvidia display-drivers.  When you get one that works, you do not change.  Because many of them crash (including supposed upgrades.)

The lack of open-docs is odd.

Is there a different forum?  Or a place I we should we be requesting different support?

Found it in my own code:
       public const uint EDS_ERR_COMM_DISCONNECTED =                           0x000000C1;

193 = C1 So we still don't know why.  Unless it is really some in-mass USB issue.  But it is a disconnect.

@robertkjr3d wrote:

Found it in my own code:
       public const uint EDS_ERR_COMM_DISCONNECTED =                           0x000000C1;

193 = C1 So we still don't know why.  Unless it is really some in-mass USB issue.  But it is a disconnect.

!!!!

If you didn't recognize your own error code and DialogBox, then I strongly suggest that you take an objective look at your own code.  Assume nothing.  BTW, there are ways to compile to different versions of your reference libraries, and select the proper one at runtime depending upon the what hardware and OS is discovered on startup..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements