cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Canon "Shoot failed" Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 (EOS UTILITY FREEZES)

Manduck2k3
Contributor

Does anyone know why EOS Utilities would have an issue pulling an image off a 5D mk 2 or 6D? I used some software that gives me an error SHOOT failed. Failed to DOWNLOAD image: 193 Reset the imager.

This appears to be a custom error messege, but when trying to use eos utilitys when I try taking a shot with the remorte shoot thing (where you hit the button on the software and the camera takes a photo) it will hang up.

I have turned off the camera unplugged it and replugged it in and sometimes it will work again sometimes it won't. I suspect there is some sort of communication error that the camera cannot talk to the computer for some reason.

Hoping someone here knows of a more perminate fix.

Thanks in advance.

29 REPLIES 29

"different grounding techniques of the interface ports on the equipment"

That doesn't explain anything, the usb grounds into the computer the power into the wall socket.. There is no other connections to the camera at all.  I reiderate my question about if eos utility has any error logging other than Windows event viewer.

Manduck2k3
Contributor

Also the 193 number seems to be an error code thrown buy the Canon SDK... I will look at the event viewer in windows and see if that tells me any errors about the EOS UTILITY software FREEZING!

Error 193 I believe is registered as a 'disconnect'.

A ground-loop does sound really far-fetched.  This problem wasn't occurring prior to newer versions, that started using newer versions of the SDK.  So I'm starting to be inclined to blame that.

I believe this could be connected to the EDS-SDK 2.14

This one is 2.14.0.3

@robertkjr3d wrote:

A ground-loop does sound really far-fetched.  This problem wasn't occurring prior to newer versions, that started using newer versions of the SDK.  So I'm starting to be inclined to blame that.

This one is 2.14.0.3

It is not as far-fetched as you might think.  Simply running the camera on battery power would prove it.

I have been programming digital PLCs ever since they were invented.  I have been plugging computers, portable computers, and more recently laptops into communication ports literally for decades.  The problem of a ground fault being created by plugging in a communication cable is extremely common. 

One way to correct this type of ground fault problem when you cannot use battery power is to use ground fault isolated, power distribution strips.  Of course, it helps to make sure everything is running on the same phase of power.  That goes without saying. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@robertkjr3d wrote:

This one is 2.14.0.3

It is not as far-fetched as you might think.  Simply running the camera on battery power would prove it.

I have been programming digital PLCs ever since they were invented.  I have been plugging computers, portable computers, and more recently laptops into communication ports literally for decades.  The problem of a ground fault being created by plugging in a communication cable is extremely common. 

One way to correct this type of ground fault problem when you cannot use battery power is to use ground fault isolated, power distribution strips.  Of course, it helps to make sure everything is running on the same phase of power.  That goes without saying. 

If it were a "ground fault problem" why would it happen with different power adapters (for the camera) different usb ports on the computer and different computers? Seems odd that ALL of that would be able to change while the problem remains.. and it's happened on different cameras as well, which all points me towards.. NOT a hardware error.. thanks for trying though I appreciate your attempted help.

This looks like an error from your custom software (are you the developer or is there some other party writing this?)

If there's another party writing the software, my suggestion is that you contact that person for help.

Canon makes the EOS Digital SDK available (there's a request/approval process) assuming someone wants to develop their own software.  There are lots of different API calls involved and they do document the API calls and possible error codes.  However, I'm not familiar with any "Error 193".  

There is a shooting event capture failure documented as a possible result from an API command, but the documentation describes possible causes such as focus failure, etc.  In other words the same sorts of causes that would cause a camera to refuse to take a shot even if you were shooting normally (rather than software-controlled shooting.)

We will not be able to help you with your custom software (especially since it's not software that any other user here would be likely to have.)  That's why I suggest you contact the developer for help with that.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The developer of the other software is certinally looking into the issue.. The secondary part of my question about the EOS utility crashing and seeing if there was any diagnostic infromation about this. I was hoping perhaps the EOS Utility would have some sort of internal diagnostic thing that may have a error code that canon spits that I could look into as I think they are caused both by the similar if not same issue.

I think I can check the camera settings on the cr2 files to see if perhaps there is any common thing that is different on those than the others that work fine.  I appreciate that info, it certinally gives me something else to look into.

>>Canon makes the EOS Digital SDK

I am the developer...

The EOS Digital SDK is at SDK 2.14... Am I wrong?
However documentation seems schechy on error codes:

193 is what I get back from the SDK when calling (very periodically, just once in a while... just enough to annoy us to death)  More importanly to make customers very mad:

error_4 = myImagerControl.Shoot(getAcquiredImageTargetName(), new StatusBarDownloadProgress(toolStripProgressBar1)); // shoot and download to the specified directory

(in imager interface)

uint Shoot(string targetfilename, DownloadProgressListener prog);

(in imager class)

uint IImagerController.Shoot(string targetfilename, DownloadProgressListener prog)
{
return SendImagingCommand(ImagerMessages.WM_SHOOT_REQ, targetfilename, prog);
}

@robertkjr3d wrote:

>>Canon makes the EOS Digital SDK

I am the developer...

The EOS Digital SDK is at SDK 2.14... Am I wrong?
However documentation seems schechy on error codes:

193 is what I get back from the SDK when calling (very periodically, just once in a while... just enough to annoy us to death)  More importanly to make customers very mad:

error_4 = myImagerControl.Shoot(getAcquiredImageTargetName(), new StatusBarDownloadProgress(toolStripProgressBar1)); // shoot and download to the specified directory

(in imager interface)

uint Shoot(string targetfilename, DownloadProgressListener prog);

(in imager class)

uint IImagerController.Shoot(string targetfilename, DownloadProgressListener prog)
{
return SendImagingCommand(ImagerMessages.WM_SHOOT_REQ, targetfilename, prog);
}

Is that a type mismatch in bold type?  Is the Interop call to ImagerController.Shoot() leaving the stack size unchanged when it returns?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

>>Is that a type mismatch in bold type?  Is the Interop call to ImagerController.Shoot() leaving the stack size unchanged when it returns?

No:
class StatusBarDownloadProgress : Imager.DownloadProgressListener

The type-of StatusBarDownloadProgress is a 'DownloadProgressListener'

Announcements