cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate button

greyhorse
Contributor

New to canon and on the 7dmk11 there is a rate button, Trying to find out what it is used for?

Donald
5 REPLIES 5

Edward
Enthusiast

A useless button unless you want to rate the quality of your shots using the LCD.  The images seen are JPEGs and it hard to tell for serious photographers as to the quality ot the image captured.  To really know how good the captured image is, you need to see it in a monitor.  You can rate an image up to 5 stars by pushing the button repeatedly.

The biggest shortfall is that one cannot program this button to activate a more useful function.

I've used it all the time. You're right that it's hard to tell on a small LCD. But you don't use it for final rating. I've used it so when I am at home, and download the photos, I can navigate to the rated ones directly and work on them first.

I've run into a situation many times where I took a series of photos, showed it to my model, she loved it, but then after a while there are quite a numbers of shots that she liked and I cannot remember them all. So the rating really help, especially for pre-wedding session.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

So you cannot program it for another use?

Donald

According th the manual i s not currently possible...maybe a future software update will correct this oversight.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The introduction of a Rate button, like the one on the 5D Mark III allows you to quickly rate images as they are reviewed. It turns 'chimping' (reviewing images) into a worthwhile pastime because the rating is visible when images are downloaded.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements