cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate Button - But to what card?

MHampton
Contributor

First, I have searched here and the internet for the answer to this and I'm stumped. I have tested on all 3 of my cameras and they all do the same thing. And yes, I've searched the manuals too.

1dx2, 5DSr, 7D2

When shooting with 2 cards (1 card raw, 1 card jpg as a backup) when I rate a photo in camera, sometimes it updates one card, and sometimes it will update the other card, but it never updates both cards. I have checked the files in both lightroom and the Canon software and both show the same thing.

So my question is, what controls which card the rating gets written to on these things. I use it when shooting sports to shorten the time when culling photos to send to the paper. Helps me remember the shots of important plays.

I thought it was a card 1 card 2 slot issue, but that doesn't seem to be it. I seem to have gotten it to switch by shooting with my primary card and rating a photo. Then when I inserted the other card it "remembered" which card it updated last? (I'm guessing here). I would have expected it to update both files but that is not happening for sure.

Thanks,

Michael

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
My guess is it would be applying the rating to images on the card you designated as the playback card.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm pretty sure I tried that, but I'll test it again to see.

Michael

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
This may not be your issue, but if you are writing to Card1 for example, and remove Card1 and turn camera on it will switch to writing to Card2. If you then reinstall Card1 it will still write to Card2.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have checked the files in both lightroom ..."

I wouldn't and I don't even concern myself with the camera rating and just use LR.  You need to view the photos on a bigger screen anyway and you probably change the rating from time to time with LR, also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I wouldn't and I don't even concern myself with the camera rating and just use LR."

It comes in handy when shooting sport for a newspaper (tight deadlines) and you want to make sure you can find the shots of a particular play later and quickly.

I guess so, maybe, but when I do those kind of jobs I am usually too busy to stop and rate a photo. I have a preset in LR that adds certain key words to help identify some of the shots. Presets in LR is your friend for sure. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hkelly1
Apprentice

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. 

Screenshot 2022-09-25 122312.jpg

The rating is applied to card that is being used to preview images. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements