cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise Min Shutter Speed above 1/250th on 6D?

mlong219
Apprentice

Hi All,

I just upgraded from the 20D to the 6D, and wanted to know, if its possible to set the min shutter speed above 1/250th of a sec on the 6D? If so, how? I wanted to know if I can set it above 1/640th or higher.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority
I don't understand. What is the "min" shutter speed and what do you mean by setting it higher?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scotty,

On a 1 series you can set the min or max shutter to whatever you want.  Even the f-stop or ISO can be set to a min or max limit.  Maybe it is possibile on a 6D.  I don't know how since I don't have one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The OP is referring to the 'min shutter speed' setting for Auto ISO.  On the 6D it only lets you set it between 1" and 1/250.  I'm not aware of a way to set it faster, though I can't say I've ever tried.  Not sure why they'd set it this way - I don't think many people would use the higher settigs, but from a software POV it should have been easy enough to allow you to set any shutter speed the camera is capable of.

You could try Magic Lantern if you really want this setting.  I believe ML gives you that flexibilty.  In fact, I think it even has min shutter speed based on focal length...

Hi Skirball,

You are correct! The reason why I want it near 1/800 is because I plan on shooting indoor sports with no flash, for the first time with this camera, and wanted to see if I can manually set my shutter to 1/1000th of sec as a min, and have my ISO set to auto. I normaly shoot in Manual mode.

@mlong219 wrote:

Hi Skirball,

You are correct! The reason why I want it near 1/800 is because I plan on shooting indoor sports with no flash, for the first time with this camera, and wanted to see if I can manually set my shutter to 1/1000th of sec as a min, and have my ISO set to auto. I normaly shoot in Manual mode.

I'd just use manual then, with Auto ISO.  Using Av won't offer much benefit, unless you're shooting in a highly dynamic lighting situation, or you really need to fine tune with exposure compensation.  Set your aperature and minimum acceptable shutter speed and just keep an eye on your ISO.  If it's getting below 400 or so then bump your shutter up.

I never used auto ISO until I got a 6D.  But the range of acceptible ISO is so good that it gives me a wide enough range for an "auto" experience.  My only complaint is that there isn't an exposure compensation for auto ISO in manual.

hsbn
Whiz

I think you meant minimun shutter speed when using Flash right? On any camera, if you want to rais the shutter speed over the sync speed, then you'll have to turn on High Speed Sync on your flash. You'll lose power of your flash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:

I think you meant minimun shutter speed when using Flash right? On any camera, if you want to rais the shutter speed over the sync speed, then you'll have to turn on High Speed Sync on your flash. You'll lose power of your flash.

Actually, it's slightly worse than that. On a 7D (and I think other models as well), if you turn on a flash, the camera will automatically lower the shutter speed to the sync speed. I learned that the hard way. I was doing backlit shots at the beach and thoughtlessly turned on the built-in flash for fill, whereupon the shutter speed went to 1/250 and my pictures were horribly overexposed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

dcoplien
Apprentice

You can't set shutter speed in all modes.  Try Tv, then press the Q located above the wheel. The shutter setting is upper left next to "Tv". Use the wheel behind the shutter button to increase or deacrease.

Announcements