cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering EOS RP for travel

albrechtmyers
Apprentice

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's light weight and compactness. I have a 5dmk4 and want something lighter to travel without sacrificing too much. I shoot mainly photos so video is a non issues for me. I also want to keep the cost down so that's why I'm leaning toward the RP rather than R. Question is should I pull the trigger? Has anyone had experience traveling with the RP?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

15 REPLIES 15

Davoud,, thank you so much! You know science quite well! 🙂 It is good to know it is easily corrected. All the best!

Davoud
Enthusiast

@ albrechtmyers:

I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's [sic] light weight and compactness.

Firstly, I would advise you to beware of third-hand opinions from persons who do not own an EOS RP. I was an early adopter, choosing the RP over the R for ergonomic reasons. I also use a 5D Mark IV, a 6D Mark II, an M5, and miscellaneous other cameras.

• In my opinion, the RP would be an excellent choice for your trip for three main reasons: high-quality photos, small size, and low price. It is amply rugged for trekking about. It uses the same flashes as other Canons use. (It is even compatible with my Profoto studio flashes and Profoto's Canon radio remote trigger.)
  • Disadvantage: no GPS.
  • Alternative: wait a while and see what the Canon R5 offers. Be aware that a) the R5 will likely be considerably more expensive than the RP and it is largely an unknown quantity, probably without additional benefits for your purposes. b) the R5 release date is unknown; it has been widely reported that Canon is temporarily closing several factories due to the COVID-19 pandemic, though I have no first-hand confirmation of those reports.
  • Conclusion: the RP is one of many cameras from many brands that might suit your needs, but I doubt you could do better.
  •  
  • Silver-Spotted Skipper. Canon EOS RP, Canon EF 100mm macro lens.
    Silver-Spotted Skipper.jpg

hadserub
Apprentice

I always take my Canon EOS M50 Mark II with my Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens when I travel. Let me say right away that I am not a pro, and I take photos only as a hobby. I have basic knowledge of this. I attended courses for beginners to master the camera. But it allows me to fill our family album with quality photos when we travel. We got beautiful pictures from traveling around Germany. We especially enjoyed riding the db auskunft trains between cities. The kids were happy to take photos next to the trains, and we had a lot of fun!

GwendolynHerman
Apprentice

I also prefer RP and the pics from my last trip to France are fantastic.

AshleighHarmon
Apprentice

If I had to choose between RP and R, I would choose the first one. The EOS RP meets the requirements of many people as it's a full-frame camera. It weighs no more than digital SLR cameras with an APS-C sensor, but it provides full-frame quality and is compatible with a wide range of lenses for shooting on trips: Canon RF 24-105 mm F4-7.1 - STM, RF 35 mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM, RF 50 mm F1.8 STM and RF 85 mm F2 MACRO IS STM.

amatula15
Enthusiast

I purchased the RP, after having owned a crop sensor Rebel SL1 for over 6 years that I still own (a classic too!) It was the very first camera I demo'd.  I demo'd others but returned and got the RP for the weight, quality, and the fact I loved my previous Canon!  I love my RP too! It is very durable, can get wet (although I still protect it in rain with a plastic cover) and well made and as other posters have commented, it takes great photos; that constantly amazes me the quality from that little camera.  I use it hiking, including water close-ups (so it does get splashed) with a 35 mm RF f/1.8 macro IS lens and it is perfect weight-wise for petite me.  I don't feel I need any other camera. I would feel very confident bringing it with me to Scotland (well, I am thinking of going to Ireland, which can be wet too!),

I realize you posted 2 years ago; I hope whatever camera you purchased that you love it!

Announcements