cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering EOS RP for travel

albrechtmyers
Apprentice

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's light weight and compactness. I have a 5dmk4 and want something lighter to travel without sacrificing too much. I shoot mainly photos so video is a non issues for me. I also want to keep the cost down so that's why I'm leaning toward the RP rather than R. Question is should I pull the trigger? Has anyone had experience traveling with the RP?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The R and RP have been discussed, evaluated and and youtube reviewed to infinity.  There is a lot of great information out there for both bodies.

I can't get excited about either.  370 shots on the R, 250 on the RP.  I'm sure you get boat loads more on your 5D4 too.

I think some here might says GX7, but again, I can't get excited about it either.  Size wise, the RP is great.  Its much lighter than the R, and with a control ring, you have your EF lens line up at your disposal.  I would wait for the R5.  My personal feeling.  The RP wouldn't live up to my expectations from a image and overall value point of view after coming off a 5D4.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If pro-sumer mirrorless and "small" with lens change ability is the goal, thats what you get here. 

Is its AF good, sure.  Does it perform, yes.  But the value isn't there for me given the hit in battery life.  But this may not be true for you.  See what others think as well.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

I would wait for the R5.  My personal feeling.     

I agree. That's what I'm doing. And we won't have to wait long, by all accounts. Hopefully it will be announced later this month. 

While the R5 will probably cost over $4500, we'll just have to wait and see. The R, for me, is no-go, due to the awful touch bar, which Canon, to their credit, is dropping. That was a bad design decision that should have never been implemented. Also, as you noted, the terrible battery life on the R and RP make it a no-go as well for me. I'm not going out into the field with a pocketful of Canon batteries, but that's just me. The rumored and confirmed specs for the R5 look awesome.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

HAve you considered one of the small Rebels, like the SL3?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@albrechtmyers wrote:

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's light weight and compactness.

I have a 5dmk4 and want something lighter to travel without sacrificing too much. I shoot mainly photos so video is a non issues for me. I also want to keep the cost down so that's why I'm leaning toward the RP rather than R. Question is should I pull the trigger? Has anyone had experience traveling with the RP?

Judging from your designs on the RP, I take it you want to put your existing lenses to work with it.  What focal lengths are you wanting to use.

The EOS RP uses RF lenses, which are pretty large.  Or, it can use your current EF lenses, which can also run fairly large and heavy.  The only advantage would be a smaller body without a lens change.  Diminishing returns rules the day, because you would need the EF adapter to use any of your EF lenses, which will only add more weight to the camera body.

If you want "light weight and compactness" from a Canon body, then you should consider the Powershot G Series of point and shoot cameras, or an EOS M series, which are really compact.  Given the choice a few years ago, I went for the new M Series because I wanted to retain the interchangeable lens feature.

My M3 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I used to use a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 with it, and could take hundreds of shots on a single battery charge.  I know use the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake lens with it.  For me, it is a perfect walk around compact camera.  I do not look like Joe "the pro photograger" when I use it when sight seeing.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you want "light weight and compactness" from a Canon body, then you should consider the Powershot G Series of point and shoot cameras, or an EOS M series, which are really compact.  Given the choice a few years ago, I went for the new M Series because I wanted to retain the interchangeable lens feature.  

Waddizzle, what do you think of the M6 Mark II? I seriously considered it for a grab-and-go/travel camera. The only thing that held me off were the M lenses. Though they may be excellent, I thought I'd end up with two lines of lenses -- the M series for the M camera and then potentially RF lenses for an EOS R camera later down the line. Also, the CIPA rating for the M battery is not so good I believe. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Waddizzle, what do you think of the M6 Mark II? I seriously considered it for a grab-and-go/travel camera. The only thing that held me off were the M lenses. Though they may be excellent, I thought I'd end up with two lines of lenses -- the M series for the M camera and then potentially RF lenses for an EOS R camera later down the line. Also, the CIPA rating for the M battery is not so good I believe. 

It boils down to how do you want to use it.  I was not looking for a full set of lenses.  All I wanted was a compact camera that could fit in a coat pocket, and coud capture high IQ images.  I own only the one EF-M 22mm lens, which gives me a 35mm angle of view.  I got the EF lens adapter as part of the B&H bundle.

I think the M6 probably blows my M3 away for shooting stills.  The 22mm has no IS, so batttery life is pretty good on the M3.  If you want a "grab and go" camera, you may like the M6.  Using EF lenses can be a big drain on the battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amatula15
Enthusiast

IMG_9907_small.jpgI am also considering the EOS RP (currently own the Canon Rebel SL1).

I do not see much posted online on its landscape and travel capabilities. Besides, I really think it is hard to make wise decisions based solely on reviews online.

I did a quick store demo of it with my 24 MM F2.8 IS USM lens and the photos were sharp.  

Here is one attached (keep in mind I am still learning digitial!). )

(I posted separately to see why I have the bluer tint in the images)

F10

ISO 320

1/1000

Metering: Pattern (I just shot at Automatic which I would not do if I owned the camera)

I know there are places online where you can rent a camera for a week's time for a reasonable cost so maybe that will help you decide. Or can you demo at a store? 

I would be curious on what you go with!

I cannot see the EOS RP making any landscape or travel top 10 lists online (nor have seen it on any!) but I find those lists often look at the specs only and of course do not reflect your ability and skills with a camera.   Personally I don't mind if a camera only gets 320 shots before recharge - I will just charge it or carry an extra battery.

I have seen reviews of the RF wide angle lens with macro, Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, and like what I read on that. I think if it is in your heart to consider the RF, then you should not let any of us sway you away from that without your first experiencing this camera first hand - hope you can demo!

Good luck and happy travels!

Annie

@amatula15 wrote:

IMG_9907_small.jpgI am also considering the EOS RP (currently own the Canon Rebel SL1).

I do not see much posted online on its landscape and travel capabilities. Besides, I really think it is hard to make wise decisions based solely on reviews online.

I did a quick store demo of it with my 24 MM F2.8 IS USM lens and the photos were sharp.  

Here is one attached (keep in mind I am still learning digitial!). )

F10

ISO 320

1/1000

Metering: Pattern (I just shot at Automatic which I would not do if I owned the camera)

I know there are places online where you can rent a camera for a week's time for a reasonable cost so maybe that will help you decide. Or can you demo at a store? 

I would be curious on what you go with!

I cannot see the EOS RP making any landscape or travel top 10 lists online (nor have seen it on any!) but I find those lists often look at the specs only and of course do not reflect your ability and skills with a camera.   Personally I don't mind if a camera only gets 320 shots before recharge - I will just charge it or carry an extra battery.

I have seen reviews of the RF wide angle lens with macro, Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, and like what I read on that. I think if it is in your heart to consider the RF, then you should not let any of us sway you away from that without your first experiencing this camera first hand - hope you can demo!

Good luck and happy travels!

Annie

The blue tint is due to the fact that the sky, reflected in the wet areas of the parking lot, appears blue. The physics of that fact are beyond the scope of the discussion in this forum and are left as an exercise for the reader. Suffice it to say that removing unwanted color casts is one of the purposes for which photo editing software is designed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@amatula 15:

The reasons are that a very clear sky is passing a lot of UV radiation, and there is snow to reflect UV that would otherwise be absorbed by foliage. This is no big thing; Lightroom Classic offers what is probably the quickest and easiest way to fix this, but Photoshop and its various imitators can fix it as well.

Announcements