cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF100-500 mounted to R5 focus issues

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hoping someone can advise me on an issue I’m experiencing with the RF 100-500.
If at 100mm it focuses quite quickly. If at 500mm I lose shots due to I have to manually focus it. It doesn’t matter if shooting a BIF with a blue sky or if shooting bird houses.
I’ve noticed using the RF800 - it obtains focus much quicker.
Lenses mounted to the R5
Thank You
11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sadie1 wrote:
Hoping someone can advise me on an issue I’m experiencing with the RF 100-500.
If at 100mm it focuses quite quickly. If at 500mm I lose shots due to I have to manually focus it. It doesn’t matter if shooting a BIF with a blue sky or if shooting bird houses.
I’ve noticed using the RF800 - it obtains focus much quicker.
Lenses mounted to the R5
Thank You

How is the focus range switch on the lens set?  Do not expect the lens to switch from focusing at one end of the zoom range to the other automatically.  Under the right conditions, the lens can be so out-of-focus after zooming from one end of the range to the other, that the camera cannot understand what it sees.  All that it sees in one big blur.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hi - it is set on Full. I also checked the firmware updates on both camera and lens and they are up to date.

@Sadie1 wrote:
Hi - it is set on Full. I also checked the firmware updates on both camera and lens and they are up to date.

Judging from your video, you may get better AF performance on the other setting.  You're focused across a room.

2BEF2559-1391-40DC-B1E5-C4E1AE7F2A9E.jpeg

Have you changed any AF settings or shooting modes recently?  Again, the really wide primes are designed for accurate focusing because of the very narrow Dof, not focusing speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sadie1
Enthusiast
I did not attach a video.

@Sadie1 wrote:
I did not attach a video.

Responder misspoke. It doesn't change the recommendation. Limiting the range for focusing will help by limiting the amount of searching the camera has to do.

Some lenses just seem to have more of a problem than others when they are severely out of focus.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hi John - yes I’m aware of that. I have it on Full. About the only time it is not on Full is when I’m shooting BIF.
Since posting - I contacted Canon and they recommended sending the R5 in for repair. They are thinking it’s the camera - not the lens. If after repair the issue still exists - they recommend I send the lens in for repair. For the last week I’ve been using the 100-500 on the R6 and it’s been working fine.
Thank You

Hi Sadie - just a thought. To minimize your down time why not just send both to Canon at the same time.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Hi John - that was my original intent. The Canon rep talked me into just sending the R5. Which I accepted because I wanted to use the 100-500 on the R6 this past week on a boat tour.

I'm curious to know is there was any resolution in this? Did canon find any issues with either camera or lens?

Announcements