cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RESOLVED] Can't get R6 to switch to different eye with joystick

Garafulic
Apprentice

Hello!

I just purchased an R6 and am trying to get the hang of how its AF and eye-AF work.

Page 379 of the menu says that upon focusing on an eye, one can select the AF Point Selection button "to change the AF point to <[  ]>, then use the [joystick]." Here's a screenshot of the relevant section of the manual.

The thing is, once my R6 focuses on an eye, selecting the AF Point Selection button will go to "Select AF Method" mode even though it's mapped to its default "AF Point Selection" function. I've also tried to map the button to Eye Detection but that doesn't do anything when I select it.

Am I missing how to map buttons? I can't get the focus square to ever display the <[  ]> arrows around it.

Thank you,

Marko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retesting the R6, I found that the source of the issue was the setting for Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂.

Switching to a different eye/face by selecting the AF Point Selection button works ONLY if Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂 = AUTO.

If I set "Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂 to Initial AF pt set for 🙂 or AF pt set for [ ], selecting the AF Point Selection button displays the menu to select the AF Method (instead of adding the < > arrows to the blue square over the currently selected eye/face).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Garafulic
Apprentice

Update: I chatted with Canon support for a while and they confirmed that the behavior I was observing was highly unusual. I updated the firmware from 1.2.0 to 1.3.1, reset all the camera's settings and that resolved the issue.

Retesting the R6, I found that the source of the issue was the setting for Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂.

Switching to a different eye/face by selecting the AF Point Selection button works ONLY if Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂 = AUTO.

If I set "Initial Servo AF pt for 🙂 to Initial AF pt set for 🙂 or AF pt set for [ ], selecting the AF Point Selection button displays the menu to select the AF Method (instead of adding the < > arrows to the blue square over the currently selected eye/face).

Announcements