cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW in Focus/ JPEG Blurred

Troutwink
Contributor

Hello- I am just starting to really dig into using RAW and have been shooting in RAW/JPEG.  I notice that when I review the photos in PSE Organizer the labels are often that the RAW shots are 'In Focus' and the JPEG 'Blurred'.  Is this common?  

I am shooting dog portraits with a 5DIII and 24-70L 4 so on the other hand, I am concerned that anything is blurred at all.  I really hope I don't have an autofocus issue.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

I recommend posting a sample & the EXIF info. May be your settings, a problem, or poor panning.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Are you shooting RAW + JPG and the same image is being compared?  I am not familiar with PSE Organizer or these labels but there is no way a RAW is in focus and a JPG isn't.  Maybe if you have a strong noise correction or lighting optimizer working in camera on the JPG's some shots could be damaged enough in that process that it looks blurred to PSE. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I don't see how a camera could produce a RAW file that is in focus, and at the same time produce a JPEG that's out of focus.  Not unless there is a write speed issue, or some other quirk associated with the card, I don't see how that can happend.

But, if it is really happening,then I'd suggest shooting just RAW files only.  I do.    The RAW files offer more flexibility in editing, and if I want to print one of them, then I run the conversion process to generate a JPEG, which saves storage space, BTW.

Also, be sure to give PSE suffiicient time to fully load the image files.  It is not unusual for a blurred, low-resolution version of an image to be displayed until it can be fully loaded and resovled on your display device.

@Scotty  PSE Organizer is a software support tool for PSE, almost comparable to how Lightroom's Catalog is integrated to support full blown Photoshop.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle, @ScottyP, and @cicopo - 

Thanks so much for your quick response.  Yes, I am referring to comparing the same photo RAW/JPEG.  Looking at the EXIIF the values do differ slighly in some cases.  For example, the RAW shows f 4.5 while the JPEG shows f 4.6.  As an amateur I find that interesting but maybe that's normal.

I appreciate the input and will keep trying.  I like the idea of simply starting to shoot in RAW other than perhaps the most everyday snap-shooting.

Again, I am new to the 'community' and appreciate the support.

Regards,

John

@Troutwink wrote:

@Waddizzle, @ScottyP, and @cicopo

Thanks so much for your quick response.  Yes, I am referring to comparing the same photo RAW/JPEG.  Looking at the EXIIF the values do differ slighly in some cases.  For example, the RAW shows f 4.5 while the JPEG shows f 4.6.  As an amateur I find that interesting but maybe that's normal.

I appreciate the input and will keep trying.  I like the idea of simply starting to shoot in RAW other than perhaps the most everyday snap-shooting.

Again, I am new to the 'community' and appreciate the support.

Regards,

John

One thing to check is whether the RAW file and the JPEG file are radically different in size. A JPEG image can be recorded with various levels of compression, which produce progressively smaller, but less detailed, files. If you have inadvertently specified a high compression level, the reduction in detail may be noticeable. It's hard to see it reaching the point where it could be characterized as "blur", but I suppose that depends on how good your vision is and how picky you are.

The f/4.5 - f/4.6 discrepancy is probably just roundoff error in one or the other of the programs that prepare the Exif data for display with each of the image types.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority

You say that PSE is labelling the JPG versions as blurred, but you have not said whether you think they are blurred.  What do you see when you look at them, disregarding the labels?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements