cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW images show error in large view

Mike34
Contributor

Just rented the 5D Mark IV and 7D II to find out which will be the upgrade from a old T2i.  I have little doubt of which I'll prefer but want to see if the difference is worth the price for me.  

The issue is that the photos taken with the 5D4 show up in the library (basic photo that comes with a Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) in their smaller form while the 7D2 show properly.  When I click to enlarge them, a triangle with an exclamation point shows indicating some sort of error.  Yesterday, I snapped off a couple pictures with both cameras and they showed up just fine and allow for enlargement.  Since then, following a tutorial on wildlife photography, I made adjustments to the 5D4 settings.  My CF cards have been ordered and have just used the scandisk SD cards for the past two day's of photos.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong with my settings to make this happen?

Thank you for any and all help.

Mike

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not enough information.  Are you shooting photos as RAW or JPEGs?  How are you transferring the image files to your Mac?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

RAW...  no reader--the MacBook Pro has a port for direct access to insert the SD card.  Those aspects didn't change.

@Mike34 wrote:

RAW...  no reader--the MacBook Pro has a port for direct access to insert the SD card.  Those aspects didn't change.

You said your latest photo files are working.  What about the old ones that did not? 

I say thank your lucky stars, the problem went away, hopefully never to return.  Don't look back.  I suspect the Mac updated itself.

Other way around...  the 5D4 files from yesterday are working, as they did then, but the ones from today are not.  Zero problems with the files from the 7D2 are working from both yesterday and today. 

Okay.  I guess I was confused.  What software are you using that is giving you errors?  Can you do any edits on the files?  The computer just simply may not be able to access, or find the files?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Make sure you've installed the latest Camera RAW update from Apple.

The Apple Photos app is a basic JPEG editor. If you feed it a RAW file it creates a JPEG and applies changes to that (which defeats the whole reason for shooting RAW).

A better program would be Adobe Lightroom (subscription is $10/month).
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I definitely plan on upgrading to photoshop, LR or DDP in the very near future.  

My confusion is to why it worked yesterday and not today--what setting could I have possibly changed in the camera that would do this?  The photos taken yesterday and today with the 7D2 have not had the same issue which leads me back to the alterations made to the 5D4.  Also, same SD card used in both.

I do appreciate both of you trying to figure this out.

" Also, same SD card used in both."

Oops, that's a no-no.  That could be your problem right there.  You should not swap memory cards back and forth between cameras.  You should always perform a low level format on the memory card before you use it in a camera for the first time. 

There is something else that's not clear.  Are you taking the time to copy the files off memory card to your MacBook?  If not, you should.  You should be able to download the DPP software from Canon.  All you need is the camera serial number.

Downloaded DPP a little while ago but won't really get time to mess with it tonight.  Never knew that about memory cards.  Also, I adjusted the settings on the camera and have been able to download, and open, jpegs which I'm assuming makes this an issue of the substandard software that I'm using.

Quick question on DPP--must the files be put into a folder before they can go to DPP or can they be directly imported from the SD card?

Announcements