cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 memory card write speed

rangerin
Apprentice

Hi. I am looking at purchasing an R6 in the near future.  What minimum write speed should I get for the memory card to get the most out of the camera? 

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

go to canonusa.com and download the manual.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

While pointing users at the user guide is often the best thing to do, in this case, it's not good enough as the information can be really confusing.

In looking at the manual, the highest possible bit-rate is 470 Mbps (bits not bytes).  I'm going to round that up to 480 Mbps which is then 60 MBps.   The R6 can use UHS-II cards, but be very careful of poor marketing.

For example, SanDisk is beginning to play games with their 300 MB/s UHS-II SDXC cards.  That 300 MBps value is the theoretcial maximum _read_.  But sustained reads are slower and sustained writes even slower.   Notice that SanDisk doesn't even put the V30, V60, V90 etc. designation on this card.  In reality this card is only V30 which means 30 MBps sustained writes.  So you're out-of-luck with the 60 MBps codec above.

Having said all that, what will this camera be used for? If you only doing stills, then a V30 card may be enough.  But if you're going to be doing video (see page 857 of the user manual), you'd need faster cards to give you the best options.  Personally, I'd look into cards with the proper V90 designator, though V60 should also work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos.  Thank you. Appreciate you simplifying the decision.  I will be using the camera for stills, but why limit the camera, I will go with the V90. 

Peter
Authority
Authority

EOS R has more than 200MB/s as maximum write speed. R6 shouldn't have less.

Thank you!

Announcements