cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Won't write to both cards

Deemarie
Contributor

So I can't get my R6 to write to both cards... it will allow me to switch between card 1 and 2 or write photos to one and video to the other. I went in the settings and set it how I would normally on my mark iv  and it's only writing to the one card. I pull it up with the Q and use the touch screen, wont let me select both. Can't find the answer in the manual or on youtube. What am I missing?..feeling very new right now...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Deemarie wrote:

Yeah, thats where I am going,.. it's not giving me options for seprate cards at the same time. I even tried making a new folder. I will let me shoot card 1 which puts it in "100canon" or 2 which puts it in "101canon"

It is weird the way Canon has it set up, You have to go to two different menus.  I like to add them to a custom menu, so that they are in one spot, one right after the other.  Here is the next page from the above screen shot.  

2D47619C-F6EF-455B-92F4-841F19B4E94F.jpeg

I think you are halfway there.  You have told the camera what format to save to each slot.  Here is the next menu you have to rind.  You have to tell the camera which slot to actually use.

FB59BEAD-7FAF-4D2D-99B1-FD10D8998562.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Can you elaborate a bit more? Are you capturing photos or video? What brand/speed are your SD cards?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am trying to capture photos to both cards. (I shoot mainly weddings) 

I have tried both the cards below..

1.JPG

2.JPG

Thank you, Dee

www.13onephotography.com 

[commercial links removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshots to facilitate discussion]

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon's menu system is really odd when it comes to setting up writing to two memory cards.  Instead of setting it up in one spot, you have to go to two places  Image quality for each slot, and then you actually setup writing to either or both slots..

6BDDC7E5-A932-46E5-B0D5-6A906EF71E1B.jpeg

Yeah, thats where I am going,.. it's not giving me options for seprate cards at the same time. I even tried making a new folder. I will let me shoot card 1 which puts it in "100canon" or 2 which puts it in "101canon"

@Deemarie wrote:

It is weird the way Canon has it set up, You have to go to two different menus.  I like to add them to a custom menu, so that they are in one spot, one right after the other.  Here is the next page from the above screen shot.  

2D47619C-F6EF-455B-92F4-841F19B4E94F.jpeg

I think you are halfway there.  You have told the camera what format to save to each slot.  Here is the next menu you have to rind.  You have to tell the camera which slot to actually use.

FB59BEAD-7FAF-4D2D-99B1-FD10D8998562.jpeg

Wow, I don't know why that was such a struggle from me.. my brain was really not computing.. I really appreciate the walk through! Thank you so much!

@Deemarie wrote:

Wow, I don't know why that was such a struggle from me.. my brain was really not computing.. I really appreciate the walk through! Thank you so much!

You are welcome. But before you beat yourself up over it, think about how long it has been since you set up the 5D mark IV, at least, it's been years since I did it on that camera. You tend to forget stuff you just do one time, and you literally forget how you did it, LOL! Plus, Canon doesn't make it easy by putting the means to activate a particular feature four or five separate menu catagories away.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Good point, it's been years, thanks for that!

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

So far, my wife has been using just one card, so I haven't looked at what gets writen to card two. Anyway, I just put a card in slot two and get the menues shown on page 693 of the latest manual (1.3.0 or Later), see attached. They look similar to my 5D mark IV, so I guess they work the same. Once you select "Record func+card/folder sel." you will see Record options for either still or video (Standard is default). Once you select the still option, you will see what you do in the 5D4.

R6 Memory Card Selection.jpg

R6 Memory Card Selection-1.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements