cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6: HDMI output disappointment

edwardhchan
Apprentice

Just a warning to those thinking the R6 will act like the R fo HDMI outputs -- I used my R through HDMI with a capture card for Zoom and was able to see the output and Q stats on the LCD, clean output through the HDMI, and record onto the SD card all at the same time.  This isn't possible on the R6.  You can either have HDMI only output with stats based on info button (no LCD screen) and record, or output to LCD with stats and clean HDMI, but no recording... Why did they do this? Even if recording is limited to 1080p/30 it's a useful option... 

15 REPLIES 15

JLBA
Apprentice

Ugh! Just bought a Atomos Shinobi... only to find out i cant record when its outputing to the monitor! This is soo lame!! my EOS R has it.. why isnt anyone talking about this..

@JLBA wrote:

Ugh! Just bought a Atomos Shinobi... only to find out i cant record when its outputing to the monitor! This is soo lame!! my EOS R has it.. why isnt anyone talking about this..

Doesn't the monitor have a repeater output, or an internal recorder.  If not, then you may want one that does.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It doesn't have an output. 
The thing is I don't wana spend another 400$ for the recording capabilities and that's priced before SSD's and its readers. 
I just wanted It for a display / all the other features to benefit from using an external monitor. For people who even want the most basic Amazon field monitor.. they won't even get to enjoy the benefits of using one. 

Really blows. I'm not sure if canon did this because of it's overheating and it's limitations. But even if they allowed this to work on all the 1080P settings id be happy. 

can't decide if I want to keep the monitor now or return it lol. Man!! 😞 

I really hope they unlock this on the camera... I wonder if the R5 Is the same. 

Most of the complaints about Canon's recent cameras are more like a comedy of errors. It's kind of like a real life SNL skit... next thing you know Canon cameras won't take pictures at all. 

"OMG I bought the R6 but when I press the shutter button nothing happenes!"

"Did you put a battery in the camera?"

"Oh, this thing takes batteries?? LOL. My Sony runs on the power of my delusions alone!! Beat that Canon!!"

Atomos Recorders to Support 4K 10-bit 422 Output from the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 | 4K Shooters

samkagech
Apprentice
It’s Ass terrible idea for scan on to do this. For us who livestream and record AG the same time this camera is useless in that regard

samkagech
Apprentice
Meant A terrible

Jonkwilliams
Apprentice
Finally giving up my GH5 to come back to Canon because I thought the R6 would approximate its capabilities. Dopey moves like this on Canon’s part have me almost ready to take the R6 back. Is this market segmenting? Why would R have dual recording and R6 not? Does R5? I so appreciate knowing I’ve got backup in camera when recording ProRes to Shogun on GH5. Sucks big time!

Jonkwilliams
Apprentice
Follow up: just discovered that if you set HDMI display to external monitor only, while you see nothing on the camera display, you can use the Info button to choose clean out from HDMI port to record on the external device and by pressing the Record button on the camera you start recording there simultaneously, but no red, blinking record icon comes down the HDMI. Drawback is not having the “dirty” screen anywhere to monitor things like battery life, time remains, audio volume, etc. if you want all that (and I do, the GH5 has it) you can only record to either the external device or the SD card, not both simultaneously. (Unless I’m missing something.) Time for Canon to make up for the pitiful firmware upgrade they just gave the R6 while the R5 got grandpa’s inheritance. Fix this problem and maybe give us Log 2/3 as well?

Jonkwilliams
Apprentice
Follow up to follow up: (I’m an idiot.) Red, blinking record icon DOES come on in External Display Only mode. How hard would it be to give us a truly clean HDMI output option in either dual or single display mode? The magic Lantern folks could do it in a heartbeat.
Announcements