cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 vertical line on photos

frizzletoad
Apprentice

I received my pre-ordered R5 recently and took it out for a test spin yesterday morning.  After about an hour of shooting, I noticed that when I looked through the EVF that I was seeing a broken vertical line appearing.  I continued shooting, assuming my viewfinder display may have a problem.  When I got home and reviewed the photos, all the photos I took after I noticed the issue in the viewfinder had the line in them also.  I went out in the evening and tried again, but all of the photos had lines through them. 

Today my plan was to do a little troubleshooting. Switch out cards, lenses, etc., to see if I got any change.  To my surprise, No line on the photos, even with the same setup I had yesterday. I am now left wondering if there is an intermittent issue with my camera or if the line was a fluke.  If anyone else is seeing an issue or have any info on this problem, I'd appreciate some direction.

Thanks123379050_382405273170860_6323574897388585442_n.jpg 

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You aren't going to get such a perfect vertical line from a lens or memory card.  Given that you also saw it in the EVF, it is an issue with the sensor or the A/D conversion hardware.  In either case, get it back to Canon (or the retailer if they can do an immediate exchange).  You don't want a camera you can't count on and you can't with an intermittent problem of that nature.

Print our or include on digital media a few test photos and type out a clear and concise description noting that it is an intermittent problem.  Hopefully they will just replace the camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

frizzletoad
Apprentice
Thank you for your input. I will contact the retailer and see what my options are.

gb12345
Apprentice

I'm based in the UK and I've just discovered the same issue on my R5. I contacted Canon on their live chat and was given a number to call from there, and an email: unitedkingdom@support.canon-europe.com. They confirmed that it is a sensor hardware fault. They advised that as it's within 30 days of purchase, the retailer I purchased from is obliged by UK law to replace it. They gave a case number for reference to the retailer as proof and I'm now in the process of getting the camera replaced. Hopefully this comment is useful for anyone else with a problem about the steps to take.

I've attached a photo for reference of the line in photos that I'm experiencing.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-28 at 12.18.49.jpeg

frizzletoad
Apprentice
The retailer took care of the problem for me and exchanged the camera. The only real problem was waiting on more cameras to be available to complete the exchange. My new R5 has been working great.
Announcements