cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Still Photo IS not working with RF 28-70 F2

Sruddy
Apprentice

R5 Still Photo IS does not seem to be working with RF 28-70 F2 Lens. When I set it to always on IS works great.

See attached side by side image. Camera settings are below images. You can see that I could not even get a sharp image @ 1/200s with the R5 set to Only for Shot.

ibs.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't see a difference.  Maybe it's the forum compression.  Maybe it's the fact that these images are screenshots, and not the actual images.  I recommend that you stop looking for problems, and enjoy the camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sruddy wrote:

R5 Still Photo IS does not seem to be working with RF 28-70 F2 Lens. When I set it to always on IS works great.

See attached side by side image. Camera settings are below images. You can see that I could not even get a sharp image @ 1/200s with the R5 set to Only for Shot.

What does "R5 set to Only for Shot" mean?  Do you mean the AF mode was set to One Shot?  What was the other set for?  

Are you saying that when you change AF mode, the IS seems to stop working?  What IS are you talking about, anyway?  The lens does not have IS.  Do you mean the IBIS in the image sensor?

Did you use a tripod?  Or, were these shots handheld?

[EDIT]. How far away were you from the amplifier?  At f/4.5, your DoF is about half an inch at two feet.

Thanks for the reply but if your asking these types of questions you can't help. I'll post a full res shot hosted from my website. It will be large so you won't hve any problem seeing the difference, assuming your not on your phone or similar small display.

@Sruddy wrote:

Thanks for the reply but if your asking these types of questions you can't help. I'll post a full res shot hosted from my website. It will be large so you won't hve any problem seeing the difference, assuming your not on your phone or similar small display.

Looking at your image does not tell me what AF mode you used.  Looking at your image won't tell me are the shots handheld.  Looking at your image won't answer any of my questions.

When opening your images above in a new browser tab (Safari on macOS in my case), yes the left-side image is not sharp as compared to the right-side one.

In searching the User Manual for "Only for shot", that brings up page 252; the IS settings for taking still photos.   So you're saying that for the left-hand image, your Still photo IS was "Only for shot" and for the right-hand image, it was "Always"?

Still, you'll need to provide more information as Waddizzle points out.  Especially an answer to the question if your camera was on a tripod.   Also, when you switched modes, did the camera move at all?  And are you sure the camera re-acquired focus?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements