cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Screen Issue

slemak
Apprentice

Hello.  First time posting, long time Canon user.  This is more of an FYI for the user community.  Purchased the R5, received it last week in the mail.  Worked great with the adapter ring and my EF lenses.  Updaing my gear I decided to purchase the RF 70-200.  It arrived yesterday.  After placing it on the R5 body the view screen was jittery.  All other functions worked as designed.  Just an issue with the live view in both the touch screen and viewfinder.  It had firmware 1.0.6 and I updated to 1.0.8.  Issue solved.  After using it for a bit and happy that things were solid... enjoying my new gear... was done for the afternoon and charged the battery.  Later last night I go to use the gear again, put battery in, turn on camera.  View screen appeared briefly then went black.  All functions worked as expected yet the view screen was blank.  Worked with support this AM, tried everything as expected when troubleshooting an issue.  No dice.  Just got back from the UPS store shipping my new $4k camera for repair.  Bummer.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Most unfortunate.

I'd have a hard time with this one.  Knowing myself, this would constitute a defect, and likely result in a return or exchange for me.  While the issue might get fixed, having it in the first place on a week old device would completely kill the "new camera day" feeling.  I would be extremely conflicted.

Brighter side.  I think you can also look forward to new camera firmware that is going to 'unlock" the heat related recording limitations and recovery times.  That will be huge.  Good luck and enjoy it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Brighter side.  I think you can also look forward to new camera firmware that is going to 'unlock" the heat related recording limitations and recovery times.  That will be huge.  Good luck and enjoy it.  

The more I learn about the R5, the more I am convinced that it is the camera of tomorrow, more than today, particularly the video capabilities. There are few users who really have the computer capacity to handle an ongoing 8K workflow. And even if they do, what sites can really host these files now? Seems to me that these guys are paying through the nose for capabilities that are better suited for the future. Why pay full price today for something you can't fully utilize?  

Announcements