cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5/R6 2 sec delay photo focus problem

ws_archascents
Contributor

My fiance and I bought a new R6 partially for the flippy screen so we can take selfies together. It's easiest to hold the camera by the lens when taking a selfie but then you can't click the shutter button. I like the 2 second timer option, but it 1)focuses  2)counts down 3) shoots. The order needs to be 1) count down 2)focus 3)shoot.  See video link below for visual description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9U5wdRW5RM

If Canon's reading this, can you please come up with a solution? 

34 REPLIES 34

@ws_archascents wrote:

in this modern age of camera phones a $2-3k camera should have the ability to count down then focus preferably while in face/eye track mode.

I'm not sure that Canon anticipated that anyone would spend that sort of money to take selfies.

They did if they were including a flippy screen. Sometimes when you're traveling to remote places, you want to take a picture together and there's no one else to take your picture for you, you have to hold the camera yourself. Pretty simple concept. 

@ws_archascents wrote:

They did if they were including a flippy screen. Sometimes when you're traveling to remote places, you want to take a picture together and there's no one else to take your picture for you, you have to hold the camera yourself. Pretty simple concept. 

I think you are the problem.  According to the video, the camera is "One Shot AF" mode.  See the upper left corner.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 7.05.33 PM.png

Using "One Shot AF" means AF tracking is disabled.  I think Nikon calls it "AF-S" mdoe.  You want to use "Ai Servo" with a Canon body, which is equivalent to Nikon's "AF-C" mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I think you are the problem." Harsh, dude. I tried with in Servo mode as well. no difference

@ws_archascents wrote:
"I think you are the problem." Harsh, dude. I tried with in Servo mode as well. no difference

Doing this seems to work just fine for everyone else.  Contact Canon Support.

[EDIT]. You had the camera in One Shot AF mode, and were complaining that it would not track a subject.

Yeah cause vloging doesn't exist...

@ws_archascents wrote:

What happend when you turned the dial the Automatic, Green [A], mode?  Did it work?

Good suggestion, but no difference. Focus point stays locked while camera counts down. Yeah I called Canon help, but they said the camera doesn't do what I want it to, but he filed a new feature request. 

@ws_archascents wrote:

You still don't  understand.  Shooting a selfie is NOT vlogging.  Shooting stills is not the same as shooting video.  You do not understand how gear actually works.  It doesn't care how you think it should work.

When the camera is in stills mode, if you do not press the shutter or AF-ON button, then it DOES NOT AF on its' own.  

Did you ever contact Canon as I previously suggested?

Losart3d
Contributor
I agree with the OP 100%
The order is broken
5D had the correct order
I’ve noticed this problem practicing self-portraits using the phone as a remote shutter

The cámara should lock focus on 0, not on 2 (or 10 in my case)

We need an option to fix this

I'm using
Eye detection
Continues to focus
Announcements