cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5/R6 2 sec delay photo focus problem

ws_archascents
Contributor

My fiance and I bought a new R6 partially for the flippy screen so we can take selfies together. It's easiest to hold the camera by the lens when taking a selfie but then you can't click the shutter button. I like the 2 second timer option, but it 1)focuses  2)counts down 3) shoots. The order needs to be 1) count down 2)focus 3)shoot.  See video link below for visual description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9U5wdRW5RM

If Canon's reading this, can you please come up with a solution? 

34 REPLIES 34

CraigCohen
Apprentice
Put in manual and calculate DOF.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
“ They did if they were including a flippy screen. ”

That’s your assumption. My assumption is a more likely reason is for vloggers to be able to see when they are creating videos.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Losart3d
Contributor
The “problem” is straightforward you guys
Continuous autofocus stops working during the countdown, and this makes it impossible to compose during the countdown

This has nothing to do with the lens you are using, and it's merely an oversight by canon

It is not a user error or lack of reading the manual

Sometimes I wonder if the trouble makers even own an r5/r6, lol

@Losart3d wrote:
Continuous autofocus stops working during the countdown, and this makes it impossible to compose during the countdown

This has nothing to do with the lens you are using, and it's merely an oversight by canon

See the manual - pg 91 and 431.

You could possibly achieve what you want by using the interval timer. Set an interval of two seconds. Set the timer for three shots. Press shutter button and hold camera out. Camera will focus with each shot since the timer is actuating the shutter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John. I came across that solution too. I think I up'd the count to 5-10 photos and decreases the interval to 1 sec to ensure I got the shot, but in 2020, Canon should have a software solution for this. 

@Losart3d wrote:

Your "problem" is that autofocus when shooting stills STOPS if you are not pressing any buttons. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Losart3d
Contributor
This is not true. You can enable continuous autofocus on photo mode. The camera will autofocus without the need to press any buttons

@Losart3d wrote:
This is not true. You can enable continuous autofocus on photo mode. The camera will autofocus without the need to press any buttons

The OP was complaining about a lack of Continuous AF in One Shot AF mode.

BTW, the camera does not have an auto pilot in photo mode.  FACT, if you are not pressing a button, then the camera will simply not AF, not matter what AF mode you're in.

If you know how to make it work with the shutter delay timer, please enlghten us.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Losart3d
Contributor
Jon,
I'm not sure what you mean. My manual only has 223 pages

Page 91 only covers basic viewfinder settings

@Losart3d wrote:
Jon,
I'm not sure what you mean. My manual only has 223 pages

Page 91 only covers basic viewfinder settings

https://cam.start.canon/en/C004/manual/c004.pdf