cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Multi-person portrait focusing

Jebez
Apprentice

Greetings, I only ever shoot individual portraits but have an upcoming assignment for a three person portrait shoot. How do I set focusing so that all three faces are in focus? Thank you in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Given that the multiple subject's eyes/face are on a plane and that plane is not parallel to the camera's sensor plane...

One option (perhaps the easiest/best) is to use a deeper depth of field (narrower aperture, shorter focal length and/or moving further from your subjects).

You could also try focus stacking.

Or, by using a tilt-shift lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Thank you Ricky for your reply and for the advice.

I apologize for my late acknowledgment. I've had to devote the better part of the last week addressing major system conflicts following my update to a new OS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We will need more information about your shoot before we can give any advice.

Will your subjects will standing side by said and all be at the same distance from the camera??  +++

Or will some of your subjects be nearer or farther away from the camera?  ++

+

What lens will you be shooting with?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll have the subjects standing side by side, but I'd also like to have one a bit forward, one in the middle and the other a bit behind.

I'll be using the RF 28mm - 105mm f4.

It would probably be best to shoot at f8 or f16, focus on the middle subject and keep them side by side - unless there's a solution to being able to separate them a bit front to back.

Jerry

Given that the multiple subject's eyes/face are on a plane and that plane is not parallel to the camera's sensor plane...

One option (perhaps the easiest/best) is to use a deeper depth of field (narrower aperture, shorter focal length and/or moving further from your subjects).

You could also try focus stacking.

Or, by using a tilt-shift lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you Ricky for your reply and for the advice.

I apologize for my late acknowledgment. I've had to devote the better part of the last week addressing major system conflicts following my update to a new OS.

Hey! 
I have the same questions. My sister and I are thinking of going for the M6 ii to autofocus and shoot in 4k. Will we both be sharply focused with eye detection if we are sitting or standing side by side? How many subjects can the DPAF focus on at once? 

Announcements