cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5- Incompatible with Sony Tough 512GB Card after firmware update

clairepics
Contributor

My friend and I both just purchased R5s. His has the original firmware and I just updated mine to Version 1.2.0 from canon's website. I put in a brand new 512GB Sony Tough CF Express card and the camera said it was not a compatible card. It asked me to take it out and put it back in again or reformat it. I tried both. The camera couldn't reformat it because it wasn't compatible. I then handed the brand new card to my friend to try in his R5 that didn't have the new firmware and it read it with no problems and he was able to format the card for me. After formating the card on his original firmware R5, it worked perfectly in my camera.

Does this mean Version 1.2.0 is not compatible with Sony tough 512GB cards? If so, does this mean I'm limited to other brands or smaller cards from now on? My friend lives in Dallas and is only here for the holidays, so I'm not going to be able to lean on his camera after tomorrow. Is this a known bug or issue that could be fixed?

Thanks!
Claire

14 REPLIES 14

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Peter wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
I don’t believe Canon cameras allow firmware rollbacks.

Worked with my 6D and my 7D. Also works with R6 and Eos Utility or R6 and two cards. Also 5D III works.

So what Canon states is incorrect?

Firmware Version 1.2.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
Once the EOS R6 is updated to Firmware Version 1.2.0 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.0 to 1.1.1).

That is incorrect, yes. The same is written about 7D. Canon Japan updated my 7D to the latest firmware version. I downgraded to 2.0.3 after that.

Anyway, this topic is about R5 and I haven't seen anyone try to downgrade that one.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"After formating the card on his original firmware R5, it worked perfectly in my camera." So it is compatible after formatting.

Before your friend leaves try reformatting the card in your camera. If it works you are all set for the future. If it doesn't have him reformat in his camera. Then just avoid reformatting until you get it worked out with Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm "all set for the future" unless I want to buy another new card, in which case things have a problem. I will definitely call canon about this, it's unfortunate I can't simply go back to 1.1. 

I posted this over on FredMiranda.com. 

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1680897/0?year=current#lastmessage

You might want to keep an eye on it. 

One respondent so far reported no problems with two of those cards. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

How weird, thanks for sharing. I'm interested in seeing more feedback. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements