cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Image-Stabilization always active with EF lens

settysphoto
Contributor

I received my R5 yesterday and took it out for a test today.

I have found that the Lens IS is always active even when im not pressing any buttons.

I would like the IS to only be activated when im pressing down the shutter button but i haven't yet found out how to do this with EF lenses. Does anyone know how?

With the Lens disconnected you get the IS settings tab in the menu (page 252 in the manual) and you can turn it to "only for shot" which makes it only activate once you press the button but as soon as you reattach the lens this setting tab disappears from the menu & still has IS always activated so that makes me believe this option doesnt work with EF lenses.

The lens IS only turns off when the camera goes into stand by mode, soon as you press any button to wake the camera up it activates the IS. Its not a huge issue but it means it will be draining the battery for no reason.

This is the only issue i have ATM with the R5.

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is called "Continuous AF" in Canon DSLRs.  The default setting is enabled.  Go into the menus and disable it.  I think setting a BBF control button just may disable it, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have this disabled, i also dont see how this effects IS? it it not continuing to auto focus.... The IS is always activated

@settysphoto wrote:

I have this disabled, i also dont see how this effects IS? it it not continuing to auto focus.... The IS is always activated

I do not have the R5.  Perhaps, they have added another setting specifically for IS.  But, what makes you so certain that it is the IS that is making the noise.  If it stops when the metering system goes idle, then that is the same behavior in DSLRs.

When i turn IS off with the switch on the side of the lens it stops being active. There is a setting for IS like i stated in my original post but it doesnt seem to work with EF lenses as the setting vanishes when you attach a EF lens. Even if i switch to manual focus the IS is still making the noise and is activated

@settysphoto wrote:

When i turn IS off with the switch on the side of the lens it stops being active. There is a setting for IS like i stated in my original post but it doesnt seem to work with EF lenses as the setting vanishes when you attach a EF lens. Even if i switch to manual focus the IS is still making the noise and is activated

I guess that is one solution, turning off IS in the lens.   Unlike many other major manufacturers, the lens is just about a completely independent device from the camera body.  This behavior may be limited to just EF lenses with the adapter.

@settysphoto wrote:

What happens if you disable the IBIS?

Having just received my R5 I have to agree with your asssessment. This obviously poses a major battery drain and adds to the field workflow, especially if you expect to use the GPS feed from the Canon Connection app. I'm gonna need to pack a solar panel with my photo gear.

An awesome camera for sure but still with some issues that could be addressed in firmware.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Same as with every mirrorless camera from Canon. M5 owner here with the same problem.

@Peter wrote:
Same as with every mirrorless camera from Canon. M5 owner here with the same problem.

My M3 seems like it wants to do it, too, although I have used any IS enabled lenses with it.  It makes noises with lenses without IS.  IF you turn off Continuous AF, it stops.  

People are certain that it is an IS issue, not AF.  I would not know.  If it stops when the camera goes idle, then I would not worry about it.  The displays might  consume more power than the lens motors.  There's two of them.

Announcements