cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I don't see anything about that in the user manual (i.e. sleeping resets the custom mode settings).

If you want the custom mode to always be updated to capture changes to settings, you can enable 'Automatic Update of Registered Settings'.  See page 787-788 of the Advanced User Guide.   But in your scenario, 1/125 would then be the shutter whenever you switch to C1.  I don't think you can have two settings (default used when powered-on fresh, and maintain the current one when the camera is only sleeping).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

I don't see anything about that in the user manual (i.e. sleeping resets the custom mode settings).

If you want the custom mode to always be updated to capture changes to settings, you can enable 'Automatic Update of Registered Settings'.  See page 787-788 of the Advanced User Guide.   But in your scenario, 1/125 would then be the shutter whenever you switch to C1.  I don't think you can have two settings (default used when powered-on fresh, and maintain the current one when the camera is only sleeping).

Yes, seems that is the only option (setting autoupdate as enabled) to avoid settings reset to the originaly configured for a given custom settings mode. Not optimal in my opinion though.

@osya_bender wrote:

@rs-eos wrote:

Yes, seems that is the only option (setting autoupdate as enabled) to avoid settings reset to the originaly configured for a given custom settings mode. Not optimal in my opinion though.

If the settings should not reset when the camera powers down, then when do you think it should reset?  If not then, when?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

On power down it should but not during the sleep.

Power down == turn the switch off

Sleep == have auto power off after X minuted set to enable

Apparently sleep is implemented in the same way (in terms of resetting the settings) as the power off is.

@osya_bender wrote:

On power down it should but not during the sleep.

Power down == turn the switch off

Sleep == have auto power off after X minuted set to enable

Apparently sleep is implemented in the same way (in terms of resetting the settings) as the power off is.

Yes. No where does Canon describe a sleep mode. It is called Auto power off. Same effect as manual power off. Retaining settings requires power, could run down the battery. Can't speak for the R5, but my 1D X allows various time settings, including Disable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That is normal behavior for custom shooting modes.  In fact, turning off the camera has nothing to do with the custom mode resetting back to its' predefined settings.  It usually happens just as soon as the metering timer goes idle.

@Waddizzle wrote:

...In fact, turning off the camera has nothing to do with the custom mode resetting back to its' predefined settings.  It usually happens just as soon as the metering timer goes idle.

This is not the case for R5. As long as the camera is on whatever settings are changed stay that way, only when it goes to sleep or turned on and then brought back the settings will reset.

@osya_bender wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

...In fact, turning off the camera has nothing to do with the custom mode resetting back to its' predefined settings.  It usually happens just as soon as the metering timer goes idle.

This is not the case for R5. As long as the camera is on whatever settings are changed stay that way, only when it goes to sleep or turned on and then brought back the settings will reset.

Okay, the R5 is different.  That behavior is a first for any digital Canon camera that I am familiar with.  I think it is rather awkward that the only way to reset the settings would be to let the camera turn itself off, or for you to actually turn it off.

This is stupid. If this is the case, a camera should never change my settings I have changed from the  custom setting whether it sleeps or turns off. The only time it should reset it if I change from C1 to Manual mode, then when I change back to C1, then reset all settings back to C1. While I am in C1 and I make a change to say exposure compensation, exposure compensation should never be changed whether the camera goes to sleep or is turned off. It is only rest when I go to manual then back to C1. A camera should never change my exposure compensation when it sleeps tor turns off.

Announcements