cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 C1~C3 bug

MonkeyCanon
Apprentice

I've noticed a wierd bug with the ISO when using C1~C3. 

So this is my setup:
M-Fn set to: Switch to Custom Shooting mode
C1: 1/100 F11 ISO100 no brackets
C2: 1/100 F11 ISO100 2 brackets
C3: 1/100 F11 ISO100 3 brackets

I use ISO 100 as my base ISO for C1~C3, but if I go into any one of the C modes and change the ISO (as you would in the real world), it'll also change the ISO to some random value in the other modes. Often it switching from ISO 100 to some crazy value like 20000 or 51200.

Is this happening for anyone else's R5?

17 REPLIES 17

Well, for not working, it has worked in all of my cameras from the day they were purchased (new) through every firmware version. I occasionally revise number of frames in my AEB settings to suit changing needs and register with selected custom settings.

FWIW, I've discussed this feature in the past with Canon reps years ago at Live Learning events (Festival of the Cranes, Bosque del Apache NWR) - it's how I first learned about it.

For not working, I'm happy. It works.

Still, the reall issue is the feature in the R5 is adversely affected by the Auto Update Set. function.

I wish Waddizzle would stop. He's throwing out wrong information left and right and misinterpreting what I (the OP) said. As a result, he's taking this whole thread off-topic.

To get back on topic: I'm hoping to see if other R5 owners are having the same bug as me. Despite what Waddizzle is arguing, you CAN save bracketing settings in C Modes and they do save correctly. You can reboot the camera, switch modes etc, and C Mode retains the correct setting and proper bracketing information.

The bug happens when you change the ISO. When I change the ISO in M or C mode, it'll randomly change the ISO in other modes. I'm curious to see if other R5 owners are experiencing the same issue before spending the time to call Canon.

@MonkeyCanon wrote:

I wish Waddizzle would stop. He's throwing out wrong information left and right and misinterpreting what I (the OP) said. As a result, he's taking this whole thread off-topic.

To get back on topic: I'm hoping to see if other R5 owners are having the same bug as me. Despite what Waddizzle is arguing, you CAN save bracketing settings in C Modes and they do save correctly. You can reboot the camera, switch modes etc, and C Mode retains the correct setting and proper bracketing information.

The bug happens when you change the ISO. When I change the ISO in M or C mode, it'll randomly change the ISO in other modes. I'm curious to see if other R5 owners are experiencing the same issue before spending the time to call Canon.

"We're in Manual mode and bracketing appears to have been lost for C1 yet retained for Manual mode between shutdowns."

I did not take your thread off topic, the above comment did.  Sounds like it doesn't work in C1 mode.  Doesn't it?

Like I said earlier, contact Canon Support about your issue.  None of it is well documented in he User Guides.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've read all the messages and I wanted to add something I didn't see re: "C1-C3 bug" which is what I originally found: It is NOT "C1 - C3".  It is "C1M", "C2M" and "C3P".

And Canon has not documented anywhere in any of the manuals, what this means.  In fact, in their manuals, they alternatively refer to the Custom functions as "C1", "C2", :"C3" and "C1p - C3p" (ref. pg 786, for example).  But, on the R5 itself, the Custom functions are listed as "C1M", "C2M" and "C3P". So we have at least 3 different names for these functions from Canon - without any explanation at all.

Logically then,
1) Since they are listed specifically differently on the camera, we have to assume that these custom functions have different capabilities;
2) Since Canon offers no explanation, we can't know what the differences are;
3) It is reasonable to assume then, given photography nomenclature,  that "M" and "P"  must stand for "manual" and "program."
4) Given the above, it is also reasonable to assume that Custom functions 1 and 2 (however they are labeled) must different from Custom Function 3.

If we assume that Custom function 3 is related to some kind of "program," then that might explain why people have commented that "the ISO goes crazy sometimes."  I had that same problem.  I was shooting in Custom 3 mode at ISO 100, and suddenly noticed that it was jumping to "AUTO ISO."  I'd set it back, take a picture, and it would jump back to "Auto ISO" again.  Obviously, in a "program setting" one of the major settings adjusts automatically, and ISO seems to be the one that is adjusting automatically.

I'm concluding that the C3 button is now worthless.  It would be nice if Canon would explain that someplace, that there really are only 2 Custom function settings on the R5 since by definition, "custom" means what I want the settings to be, not what the camera tells me it's going to do despite my settings.

I'm also concluding that this is NOT a "bug," because the custom function "C3" specifically says "P" (not "M" as C1 and C2 do) on the camera.  It's just that Canon overlooked giving any information on this, and they themselves set about describing these functions randomly and inconsistently as "C1-C3," "C1p - C3p" in the instructions and then "C1M", "C2M" and "C3P" on the camera...

Welcome to the forum.

The custom shooting modes are called C1, C2 and C3.

Once settings are registered to the settings the display on the camera will be C1x, C2x and C3x, where x is the primary mode, like P, M, Tv or Av.

Apparently the R5 pre-populates the modes.

If you look at pages 790-791 you can see there is an optionenable/disable auto update.

If thatoption is enabled then any changes you make while in C1, C2 or C3 are saved when the camera is powered down.

If set to disable then the changes only last  until the camera powers down.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

The custom shooting modes are called C1, C2 and C3.

Once settings are registered to the settings the display on the camera will be C1x, C2x and C3x, where x is the primary mode, like P, M, Tv or Av.

Apparently the R5 pre-populates the modes.

If you look at pages 790-791 you can see there is an option enabvle/disable auto update.

If that optiuon is enabled then any changes you make while in C1, C2 or C3 are saved when the camera is powered down.

If set to disable then the changes only last  until the cmaera powers down.

I actually prefer this behavior when using the Custom Shooting modes.  If I want the setting changes then to be retained, then i would shoot in one of the standard Creative Shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I actually prefer this behavior when using the Custom Shooting modes.  If I want the setting changes then to be retained, then i would shoot in one of the standard Creative Shooting modes."

That's not really the same. One may have a special Custom Mode configured, lets say with Auto ISO for example. On a particular day he may have a reason to shoot with a fixed ISO. If the camera is set to disable the setting could be changed that day but revert to the desired mode when the camera shuts down.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks! In the process, I found the D5 MKIII discussion on the very same problem (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/5D-MK-IV-registering-custom-shooting-modes/m-p/340384/emcs_t/...) and found the explanation. Since I never use "P" mode, it would not have occurred to me that that's where it came from and how it happened, which must have been an inadvertent flip of the dial while lowering down. Anyway, thanks!
Announcements