Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: R5 Built-in Mic Pops / Popping

I've had the same problem. Support suggested turning off wifi.

Occasional Contributor

I tried turning off the WiFi, even turned on the Airplane Mode. No help.

Occasional Contributor

My wifi is not on. Going to exchange tonight for a new one, and we will see what happens. If that one does it too, it is definitely a flaw of some kind that Canon needs to address. I doubt it is software but who knows.
Occasional Contributor

By the way, what resolution/frame rate is everyone using when this happens? I am doing 4k60fps.

New Contributor

I was doing 4k 30 fps. I usually would get one pop max, near the beginning of the video. Didn't try turning off wifi until today, we'll see if that does anything.

Occasional Contributor

Also, it may have been happening two years ago with the RP. One of my videos definitely has it only on the left channel. I need to check out the other one later. Here's the post from dpreview.com about the RP. No follow-up saying if it was ever resolved:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4379269
Occasional Contributor

I use 1080p 60fps. I'll try my new copy tonight.

Occasional Contributor

If the new unit has firmware 1.2, then maybe stay with that. What firmware were you both using when the pops happened? I updated to 1.3.1 right when I got the camera, so if it's related to that, I'm sticking with 1.2 if I do the exchange.

Occasional Contributor

My current one was 1.1.1, and I updated it to 1.3.1. No difference, lol.

New Contributor

I wasn't able to find a work around for the issue. It happened at all resolution settings and with various lenses. I don't beleive it happened when using an external microphone like a rode mic. Anyways I returned the camera to Amazon and waited a few months for my replacement (there were supply issues during Q4 2020). The new camera has been working fine without issue, no pops recorded when using the built in mic. I'd recommend returning it for an exchange.