Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: R5 Built-in Mic Pops / Popping

Thanks. Wasn't able to get the exchange done today. Instead I called Canon support. They were not aware of the issue and I had them note this forum posting in my support ticket. Will hopefully exchange it tomorrow. briancloud any luck with your replacement camera?
Occasional Contributor

Got home late tonight.

The new copy has the same issue but is so much better so far.

It only pops once at the very first second of the video only after changing or reattaching the lens. Then no more pops, so It doesn't bother me anymore.

I have tested both cameras back and forth for 1 hour. The old one was really bad. However, I will still keep up with further deeper use.

Occasional Contributor

That is discouraging somewhat. Does the new one have the pop when taking the first movie after powering up since being turned off for a few hours without changing lens? What firmware is the new one on?
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it does. The firmware is 1.1.1.

I believe it's nothing about the settings or firmware. Canon should address this issue.

VIP

Maybe it is t the IBIS hitting the end stop, or something.  Disable all of the. IBIS functionality, and see if that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor

I turned everything off including the IBIS. There was no difference.

The popping sounds more electronic than physical.

Occasional Contributor

Went to my retailer. Couldn't repro on their demo R6. Was only able to repro on mine if the camera had been turned off a few minutes. Happens with either memory card I have in either slot. Decided to stay with this unit for now. The first day I had it, there were no pops, so I am worried if I exchange it, new unit could be OK for a day then start popping. Bought an external mic and will test that out thoroughly from a cold start tomorrow. I doubt it will happen with an external mic.

It happens on my camera with the 800 and also 24-105 kit lens.

Occasional Contributor

I was remembering incorrectly. The reason we couldn't repro on the demo was that playback volume was disabled on the demo unit and we couldn't figure out how to get any sound even with headphones. I should have insisted we break out a new R6 that was on hold for me. I'll use my unit for another week or so and then decide if I want to exchange it.
Occasional Contributor

Update. I got a replacement R6 from my retailer. I used it for a few days and no sign of any popping, on dozens of videos. Today there were two videos where there was a slight pop on the right channel right at the beginning of one video, and one on the right channel just before the end of another video. The second one may have been real but the first one happened immediately so I suspect it could be a glitch. I am upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3.1 firmware now.

Anyone else have any updates?

New Contributor

I turned off the wifi as suggested by support, but I'm still getting pops. Probably gonna complain again soon.