Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: R5 AF Settings & Understanding?

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think I saw a video from Micheal the Maven in my YouTube news feed.  It is a 3 hour tutorial on the R5 and R6 bodies.  He likes to make LONG tutorials.

Jared Polin does not know as much as he pretends.  

They both get on my nerves to the Nth degree and I don't waste my time listening to them blather on. Dustin Abbott is much more to my taste and is probably my favorite reviewer. I also tune in to Chris Nichols. 

Highlighted
VIP

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think I saw a video from Micheal the Maven in my YouTube news feed.  It is a 3 hour tutorial on the R5 and R6 bodies.  He likes to make LONG tutorials.

Jared Polin does not know as much as he pretends.  

They both get on my nerves to the Nth degree and I don't waste my time listening to them blather on. Dustin Abbott is much more to my taste and is probably my favorite reviewer. I also tune in to Chris Nichols. 

Unlike Jared, Michael seems to know what he is talking about, including all of the subtle nuances in different brands.  He is just long winded.  But, I give him credit for being totally thorough, unlike Jared.  

BTW, I dont watch their camera tutorials.  I only watched a tutorial to see if the person knows their stuff.  Jared doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I disagree. I think Jared knows his stuff, and the proof is in his work. At least, obviosuly, that's my opinion.

But ... no matter ... in his R5/6 videos, in real time and the actual results in photos, he's getting great ratio of hits ... and that was my point. Thus I think it's technique and settings too, not just turn on Eye AF and let it do what it does. 

I like Maven too and have been talking to him about it. He seems to get a much higher rate of hits as well, like Jared, hence why I'm in communication with him. 

Anyhow, thanks everyone. I think I have a quite a great handle now on the R5's AF system. And loving it!

Highlighted
VIP

@dsorell wrote:

I disagree. I think Jared knows his stuff, and the proof is in his work. At least, obviosuly, that's my opinion.

But ... no matter ... in his R5/6 videos, in real time and the actual results in photos, he's getting great ratio of hits ... and that was my point. Thus I think it's technique and settings too, not just turn on Eye AF and let it do what it does. 

I like Maven too and have been talking to him about it. He seems to get a much higher rate of hits as well, like Jared, hence why I'm in communication with him. 

Anyhow, thanks everyone. I think I have a quite a great handle now on the R5's AF system. And loving it!

Jared knows what he knows.  When he doesn't, it shows.  Jared is a pretty good wedding photographer and photo journalist using his familiar gear.

I still cannot believe that he did not know that entry level cameras only spot meter at the center AF point.  He really laid down and blasted the camera for its' poor exposure control..  I doubt if he hss yet to realize that it was his mistakes were the problem, not the camera.  His unfamiliarity with third party gear is plain to see, most especially with Canon gear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Why did you order a manual when you can just download the PDF version for free (and it is much easier to read than the super-tiny print in the printed manual).